Canaveral Shoals and wrecks..

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is well known that many ships wrecked on the canaveral bite/shoals...they recently just opened up the "secure" area as well.

Is there any legit reason why people arent actively searching this area for wrecks? You need a permit to salvage, but that doesnt mean you cant still look.

Am I missing a legality here? Or is it just an unpleasant place to dive (huge sharks, poor vis, current, etc)

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of junk, dangerous shoals, questionable vis, deep sand. There are people looking. There have been a number of operations all along the Cape.

Goldminer

Apr 28, 2006
Las Vegas, Nv
Just completed magnetometer and side scan sonar surveys of that area. It is exactly like Signumops posted. There is much junk, NO visibility, very deep sand, and dangerous shoals.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
to search for shipwrecls "offically" by law in florida waters --you have to buy a "permit" and report what you found to even look around these days --thats the "grubbermint" in action -- and once your bled out by payng for the first two permits and all the cost and BS that goes with it -- then when its time to get the all important money making 3rd permit --the "harvesting /salvaging permit" -- nope they are not issuing you one , for whatever BS reason of the day , they dream up and theres no one to appeal to since they got a "deadlock" on the permitting process --they and they alone run the entire process -start to finish -- only a long and costly lawsuit might get you a "harvesting" permit (but only if you win that is) --but again it will bleed you fiscally dry (the archies are defended legally by "the state" at tax payor expense thus long drawn out lawsuits are no "big deal" to them) --so that in the end even if you win , you will be so fiscally "tapped out" you will not be able to fund your recovery project properly and make a profiet in the long haul. -- it is not by "accident" that things are done this way by the state archies , but rather by design * --its meant to kill off the treasure salvage bussiness -slowly but surely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be funny one day..if everyone decided to just ban together, the salvors at least, and hide what they find among themselves...create private collection museums, get archies that are on our side not related to the state, etc...a secret society of treasure hunting so to say haha

far as they know, we look ALL the time, just have never found a single thing.

I would get a chuckle out of something of that nature

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be funny one day..if everyone decided to just ban together, the salvors at least, and hide what they find among themselves...create private collection museums, get archies that are on our side not related to the state, etc...a secret society of treasure hunting so to say haha

far as they know, we look ALL the time, just have never found a single thing.

I would get a chuckle out of something of that nature

There already is such a secret society. That's why you're here. Break out your decoder ring and be welcomed to the realm of the luckless, landless and dis-possessed.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
While working with Florida Research and Recovery we spent months maging and diving that area just outside of the security zone. Yes, lots of space junk, even found a partial rocket still with the USA logo on the side in approximately 25' of water and a practice bomb. Lots of cables, pipes and such but no booty.

diverlynn

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats comforting..no wonder they dont give permits to salvage the area haha the stuff they dont want people to bring to the surface.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to be old to have a decoder ring. They quit giving them away once Howdy Doody left the air. I got mine on Ebay, but I think the Spanish embassy and the U.S. Dept. of State has squashed any sales in the western hemisphere. Sorry.

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
I have " Project BlueBook Ring.. does that count for anything..

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
That's OK.. Howdy Doody was to slow...., I'll stay with " Swamp Fox "..

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop it Terry. I can't laugh too hard right now, weak bladder.

Use the ring!! Use the ring, man!!!
3kljh4h41kjh3kj14h1h12k4h76kjh8(*&^(JlkjJJLkjjj23 kjk3l3kj3 3lk1aalkjw2## 2$^%ljk

Probably being monitored by NIJ, DOJ, TSA, FBI, SEC, BAR, DHR, DEP, ICE, NSA, CIA, TSA, Grayhound Bus, Virgin Records, Carters Little Liver Pills, LLC This and LLC That... you name it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to be old to have a decoder ring. They quit giving them away once Howdy Doody left the air. I got mine on Ebay, but I think the Spanish embassy and the U.S. Dept. of State has squashed any sales in the western hemisphere. Sorry.

Not only that, but there's an archie police force going around confiscating the decoder rings.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Not only that, but there's an archie police force going around confiscating the decoder rings.

You all got it wrong... I use a Captain Midnight token..you gotta be stealth...go in under the cover of darkness... even the sharks can't smell your presence...
Now! What the he%$ were you all writing about?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread