1715 subcontractor questions

Rekdivr95

Aug 11, 2011
I had a few questions about the process of salvaging the 1715 fleet that I was hoping some people would be able to answer.

I know that you must become a subcontractor of the Queens Jewels, but I’m curious if you have to pay to do this or if they just take a percentage of what you find? Or a combination of both? Could you buy or lease a section instead of become a subcontractor or is that not possible?

Also, are you given a specific location to search, or is it more of a free for all and you search wherever you feel like it?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions but this will get me started. Thanks for your help.

Brent

Last edited:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great questions rekdivr95, I was wondering the same things. I also wonder why I haven't seen any posts of new finds and why they don't dive all year round.
ZDD

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
To work the 1715 fleet you will need to secure a contract with Queens Jewels, LLC and pay a $1,000.00 Fee. You will be allowed to go wherever you like on the sites unless a certain area is closed or taken by another Sub-C.

If you need help to find a place to work they will guide you but if you want to go on your own thats ok too.

All finds are subject to the State donation of 20% and a 50/50 split with Queens Jewels.

It is possible to secure a small exclusive area with Queens Jewels so only you can work the area but you must consistantly work this area or they will not keep it exclusive.

Queens Jewels area covers nearly 40 miles of coastline....

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's only been a few days worked this "season" so there hasn't been too much found. The weather has been pushing ground swells and the winds have added chop on top of that. So typically the Fleet doesn't get much work on it till Mid-June when things calm down. A mailbox/blower swinging around doesn't excavate too well and we like some visibility.

So we've been fighting two of the "3 Evil M's" of treasure hunting, Mother Nature and Mechanicals....

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks GOHO and Au Dreamers for the info. We don't get on the wrecks much up here until May or June either, but every now and then we get a weather window and get lucky. I guess us up here in the great white north we just think that you would be diving year round. Good luck to you guys this year I hope you all do well, we have already started the year off with some gold.
Good hunting,
ZDD

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard about 10 sub-c's this year.

Yeah Zodiac you would think that but with the price of fuel the work days are picked a little more "selectively".

It's always nice to start early with gold!!

May you get Mas Oro!!

Anytime Rekdivr - glad to answer.

Last edited:

Seanlough

Dec 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knew a company I could subcontract with and actually work this year on a regular daily basis . Finding a way in with some of these larger contractors is not easy if anybody has any answers on how to get a subcontract position with your own boat please let me know. Thank you guys for your time I really appreciate it . Also if anyone knows a way in it would be greatly appreciated also .

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't have a list of the sub-contractors but your best bet would be to go to the museum in Sebastian and ask Brent Brisbane for info on the sub-contractors and how to get in touch with them. Also you can come to the Treasure Hunters Cookout in April (see above) since many of them will be there and talk to them in person.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Seanlough - I am not sure that I understand what you are looking for.
There is one entity that holds the salvage leases on the 1715 Fleet (1715 Fleet-Queen's Jewels) and all subcontractors have to sign a contract with them. John Brandon is their operations manager. The company will run a background check/credit check/etc on all involved, look at your experience and equipment and decide whether to offer a subcontract.
There is another entity that owns the rights to the Atocha/Margarita wrecks west of Key West and that is the family of Mel Fisher. All the information you may need can be found at Mel Fisher's Treasures - Historic Shipwreck Recovery . As far as I know, they are not putting on any new subcontractors.
I hope that helps. If not, feel free to contact me through a PM.

Merry Christmas! :icon_santa:

1percenter

Oct 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest to try and get a job on one of the working salvage boats and get a feel for it, learn as much as you can.Thats another way to get you involved before you spend your $$$$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread