Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of mystery Treasure Coast finds, any ideas on the age of these two finds would be appreciated. They were both found close to the same 1715 fleet wreck site but several months apart. The ring looks like two clasped hands and even though it has that coppery look after I got the shells and crusty green stuff off it holds a 10K test and is unmarked. The other item is also unmarked and holds a 10K test, looks kind of oriental?
I thought maybe some of the experts on the shipwreck forum may have seen something similar, I assumed they were modern jewelry finds. Both Minelab Sovereign GT finds from low tide dips along the beach.
Cheers Gary

Attachments

• T Coast find 1.jpg
    T Coast find 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 566
  • T Coast ring .jpg
    T Coast ring .jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary:
The clasped hands design would not be the first of its type found on a 1715 wreck. Probably quite valuable.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Chances are good. Are there any markings in the ring? The other thing needs to be cleaned, but it looks late baroque/early rococo with the spinning whorls technique used on some Spanish colonial jewelry.

OP
OP
Gary Drayton

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are good. Are there any markings in the ring? The other thing needs to be cleaned, but it looks late baroque/early rococo with the spinning whorls technique used on some Spanish colonial jewelry.

Sorry I never replied to these comments soon, the back of the button has a thick hold shank and is the same curved shape as the top. The ring has no markings.
cheers Gary

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
Under magnification I see markings on the ring. Not quite sure what they are but you should be able to see them in person upon inspection. Check the location at the tip of the fingers, almost looks like a black mark, but I am seeing what looks like a ( 16 ) or a ( 9Y ). ring magnified.png

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under magnification I see markings on the ring. Not quite sure what they are but you should be able to see them in person upon inspection. Check the location at the tip of the fingers, almost looks like a black mark, but I am seeing what looks like a ( 16 ) or a ( 9Y ). View attachment 649970

9Y means 9ct yellow gold.

OP
OP
Gary Drayton

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well spotted, I checked the ring out under a high powered lens and I think I see what appears to be a 1 & a 6 or a 1 and a G but the wife who has eyes like a hawk says it is just the way it is dinged in. This is a very small ring,if they are numbers they have to be the smallest numbers I have ever seen stamped on a ring. If I had thought the ring could be old I would never have cleaned it up, lesson learned.
Cheers Gary.

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
Thanks Gary, I spot all kinda cool stuff :wink:...lol

Awesome Jeff K, I didn't know what 9Y means, and its definitely 9Y. Was there a particular time period when they used 9Y, cause I never heard of it....OH, and Gary I would find out how to clean this stuff up without damaging it, I know there have been threads on tnet on how to clean gold and silver and jewlery.

Limo Bob :icon_pirat:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread