Alabama Shipwreck exposed again

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool. You would think that the all-knowing "experts" could tell the difference between a civil war era ship and a 1930s ship.

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
That's pretty cool. You would think that the all-knowing "experts" could tell the difference between a civil war era ship and a 1930s ship.

"All-Knowing Experts?" None of the "experts" I know think this shipwreck is from the Civil War. Having excavated a former blockade runner that was the first shipwreck ever placed on the National Register of Historic Places, it looks like no blockade runner I have ever seen. You can immediately deduce from the basic measurements this wreck isn't a typical purpose-built blockade runner. It's length to beam ratio is only about 5-1. Most blockade runners are closer to 10-1. They were built for speed. I'm not sure what "expert" would have thought it was because this wreck is clearly not from the Civil War. Most "experts" I know and work with are almost certain it is the remains of the merchant schooner Rachel. The Rachel was built at Moss Point, Mississippi in 1919 and wrecked in 1923. I think most of the hype calling it a Civil War shipwreck can be attributed to the media, not based on any evidence. (And we all know how trustworthy the media is, anything for a good headline) Why else do you think every shipwreck ever found is either a Spanish galleon, a pirate ship, a Confederate blockade runner or a German U-boat??? Because those shipwrecks are "sexy" That's what the public wants to hear and that's what sell papers. In spite of the fact that the bulk of the shipwrecks discovered are schooners, sloops, braques, small coastal tading vessels, etc. They represented the bulk of maritime commerce, but aren't considerered "sexy" enough." Still they have their own unique stories to tell and often times, the "true" stories are just as fascinating as the ones the media tries to hype.

Just my 2 cents.

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Here is an aerial that shows the length to beam ratio I was talking abouit.

Attachments

• croppedship1.jpg
    croppedship1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,120

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the schooner "RACHAEL" that you refered to,the one built by the daughter of Capt. JOHN RILEY Bless McIntosh,a CSA blockade runner and subject of a certain lost Confederate gold story?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"The Rachel was built at Moss Point, Mississippi in 1919 and wrecked in 1923."

That would be a no.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fair enough. Your punctuation from your previous post made it look like you were saying the ship was a blockade runner - something that was already established as false rumors.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Fair enough. Your punctuation from your previous post made it look like you were saying the ship was a blockade runner - something that was already established as false rumors.
No worries.
Capt John Riley Bless McIntosh was a very successful blockade runner for the CSA,and he is mentioned in several versions of the lost Confederate gold legends.Capt John Riley,as he was known,was never caught or captured in these endevours,and made a small fortune which he left to his daughter,Rachael.
He transported Florida cracker cattle from Punta Rassa,Florida to Cuba for payment in Spanish gold specie.
Yes,a large amount of gold passed through CSA Fort Meade and the CSA Cow Calvary during the War of Northern Aggression,the basis of several of the legends.

ShipMan7

Sep 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anyone know if salvage rights have been established for this vessel that appeared on the beach in Alabama? i realize it's on private property, but am wondering if anyone has tried to get salvage rights for it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread