We havent retrieved our nuclear reactor and nuclear torpedoes yet??

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The U.S. Navy held a court of inquiry two times, in 1970 and 1986. They already came to the conclusion that the Scorpion sank due to a catastrophic explosion in the torpedo room.

OP
OP
vor

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The U.S. Navy held a court of inquiry two times, in 1970 and 1986. They already came to the conclusion that the Scorpion sank due to a catastrophic explosion in the torpedo room.

Wouldn't you think that since it is in international waters that we would want to salvage it before anyone else gets around to it? I know its in deep water but from the photo, it looks like we could bring it up.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Back when the Scorpion sank the technology didn't exist to salvage it. Now there are only two companys worldwide that are capable of working in 10,000 foot deep water. I think the torpedos are safe for now.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I remember correctly they had a hot running torpedo in the torpedo room. This was determined due to the combination of explosion evidence apparently emanating from that area and the fact that the sub was facing in the wrong direction for it's planned course. (torpedoes have safeties that deactivate if the torpedo does a 180, so the procedure for a hot torpedo is to turn the sub 180 degrees to trip the safety) I guess it didn't work. :-/

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
They never recovered the USS Thresher, either. It is still sitting at 8400 feet in pieces. The nuclear fuel onboard is still intact and monitored periodically to see if it is contaminating the surrounding sea bed. But in the Thresher's case, the fault was in the use of weaker silver soldered piping rather than welded piping.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The nuclear fuel onboard is still intact and monitored periodically to see if it is contaminating the surrounding sea bed.

I'm out of my league on this one. So do they wait until it does start to leak to do anything about it?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm disappointed with such a facts based discussion. Didn't the global cabal sink those subs as part of some people controlling or money making conspiracy. Or didnt our government cover up the fact that the subs sank after being fired on or rammed by ufos? Come on people you are being brain washed by the mass media government industrial military banking complex!!

And I believe that given no radiation etc has been contaminating the water they fear attempting to recover could open something bad up. But it is extremely fascinating given the impact of pressure when the subs loose structural integrity. One wonders if/when a rouge nation or terrorist group will attempt to recover the nuke devices / fuel.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I'm out of my league on this one. So do they wait until it does start to leak to do anything about it?

Pretty much, yes. The russians did the same thing with one of their scuttled subs. They had encased the reactor room with concrete and some other substance prior to sinking it. But over time the concrete began to crack and dissolve. So they had to lift the sub.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread