ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best resources on the web is Dan's Homegrown Sidescan Sonar http://www.portup.com/~dfount/sidescan.htm

I built something similar about 10 years ago, it worked okay....If you have a wife and/or kids that you enjoy spending time with you might be better off buying one of the new Humminbird units. They produce a good image. Or you might consider renting a commercial unit if you've got a reasonable search area.

OP
OP
Indiana

Indiana

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2006
California
No wife no kids, thanks for the info I will take a look. I am in California I don't know where I could rent one out here but I will start looking, it there a ball park figure on what they cost to rent.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably $125-175 a day if you can find one without an operator, if you have to pay for both $1200-1500 day on your boat.

What are you trying to locate? There might be other equipment better suited for your needs.

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
If I am looking for a 7 foot bronze item in 5 feet of water buried under 3 feet of mud, hypothetically, what is the most economical method of detecting the item?

MichaelB

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ouch! A sidescan won't do you much good unless it's laying on the bottom. Bronze rules out a magnetometer. You might look into sub-bottom profiling or even use a pulse loop if you know the general area - the pulse loop being much cheaper.

Godspeed!
Darren

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to ditto what Darren said. A pulse loop metal detector would be the most economical. Since were obviously not talking about a bronze sewer pipe. Is there any other potential debris that would be nearby?

S

Sharkey

Sidescan ill not help you...sub bottom is difficult to use...pulse md is best

5 feet of sand is a long waydown...being an ME/EE I will ask the guys at the office about the possibility of building a useful tool for just such a task

OP
OP
Indiana

Indiana

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2006
California
I am looking for a shipwreck at the bottom of a lake. Most of the lake is flat which should make it easy to find, but the problem is that there is only about 6 inches of visibility in the lake. Further from the research I have done the ship is in a sand dune at the bottom of the lake.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Well my friend I can understand your plight!!!!!!!
I am going through ALMOST the same thing.
I suggest that you first do Side Scan Sonar search.
Then use a MAG and THEN do the MD thing.
I also suggest that you KEEP VERY GOOD RECORDS on everything you are doing. You will find this important in more ways than one.
Be thankfull that you are not dealing with Gators, Sharks, Crocs and a very very swift tide change AND the State of Florida.
Keep at it and good luck.
Peg Leg

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Building a Side Scan Sonar.....

Well my friend, I have been down that road! All I can say is your time would be more well spent working at a job to pay for one to buy! If you have a full time job and can't afford say the Humminbird 987 or New 997 at $1900, get a 2nd job to foot the bill!

I have wasted so many hours working on projects like this and unless you are a complete electronics genius and mechanical engineer, I would hate to see you go down the same road I did.

Don't get me wrong, its doable! I built Dan's side scan and it works, but the images are nothing compared to what you get from a real side scan or the Humminbird. I have also built a fluxgate mag successfully, but I spend more time fixing it than I have had it in the water.

If you feel like saving a little money compared to the Humminbird, there is a fella named Gary Burton who has built a nice unit and sells a semi-kit form where you can build the towfish and buy the depth finder separate. It works off a Lowrance depthfinder and the data can be recorded and played back on your computer. The only, only, only downside is it looks to just one side not both. The resolution seems to be great. I think his packages start around $600.

www.burtonelectronics.com

You also might want to check out the Geotech forum and see some of the projects there. Its a great resource if you are serious about building mag, sidescan, metal detectors, etc.

http://thunting.com/geotech/forums/

Good Luck and keep us up to date with what you end up doing.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Let us know if we can help with anything!

Robert in SC

OP
OP
Indiana

Indiana

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2006
California
I was looking at those units and I think that is going to be the best route. Thanks for the input.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Indiana,

Go with the New 997. It has recording capabilities.

Robert in SC

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice equipment, not cheap

OP
OP
Indiana

Indiana

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2006
California
I have been looking at those units, but has anyone used them, I want to know it the images are as good as those on the website.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I own a Marine Sonic, and yes the images are as good as they portray.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread