Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Buddy you're on the wrong side of the island. All the good wrecks are on the south side. Here's a hot tip; a friend of mine found several pirate ships wrecked on the W. side of Morant Cay. They are still there.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Get yourself a copy of John S. Potter's "Treasure Divers Guide". That is as good a place as any to start, and has a whole chapter on Jamaica. Like Pete said though, most of the known ones are on the South side. That's not to say there might not be a few on the North side, and in truth, the ones you are looking for are the ones that haven't been found yet :D

Jason

OP
OP
M

montegobay

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2006
Salvor 6 and Jason, Thanks for the replies, Salvor did you mean Morant Bay? I worked there in 1990 rebuilding the power lines after hurricane Gilbert, in fact I worked all over Jamaica, St Kitts, Nevis, Antigua, and Montserrat. I am a power lineman by trade but when I grow up I,m going to be a treasure hunter, gold miner, fisherman, hunter, and a golfer but I'm only 51 so I have a few years until I'm mature enough to engage in these types of activities. I am aware of the reef below the south coast of Jamaica called the "Viper" and I believe there is a company already looking for stuff down there, I also believe they are making a 70/30 split in favor of Jamaica and I don't think they are very happy about it. I wouldn't be.

I am based out of Montego Bay so I Figured that is where I would start. Jason Thanks for the info on the book ,I will pick up a copy and start my research.

Best Regards,
Chuck

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=montegobay . I am a power lineman by trade but when I grow up I,m going to be a treasure hunter, gold miner, fisherman, hunter, and a golfer but I'm only 51 so I have a few years until I'm mature enough to engage in these types of activities.
I am based out of Montego Bay so I Figured that is where I would start. Jason Thanks for the info on the book ,I will pick up a copy and start my research. est Regards,Chuck

Sheeze Chuck you sound almost like me, except instead of a line man, I was a professional bum, still am as matter of fact,

On your list ok, except for golfer shees, that was the worlds greatest joke played on the Scots. substitute Flying for that.

Tropical Tramp

OP
OP
M

montegobay

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2006
bayouhunter,

I was working down in Kingston in 1989 after hurricane Gilbert. Texas A&M university was down there diving among the ruins of the old town of port royal . I had the opportunity to meet a Bunch of the student divers there and they told me that the water was really murky and dirty . Also the Jamaican government doesn't like to share much of the plunder with the people who actually found it. Port Royal is also very close to the town of Kingston and a Jamaican government monitors the activity around it very closely.

But thank you very much for the reply and any information that anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated .
Best regards ,
Chuck

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
South east of Jamaica is a small island called Morant Cay. Not Morant Bay.

OP
OP
M

montegobay

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2006
Gotcha, I was looking at something on google earth the other day and it looked like a little cay south east of kingston and i was wondering if that was what you were talking about. If you can pry any more info out of your buddy it would be good. I don't know if intimidation would work, but bribery is always a nice option.
Or maybe a cut of the pie.

Let me know.

Best Regards,
Chuck

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
O.K. I will tell you where I heard this. I heard it from Winston McDermott who owns the Brac Reef Resort in Cayman Brac. He has a world class dive boat called the K-Man Diver that frequently goes out around Jamaica on exploratory dives, searching for treasure. He will probably kill me for this! That's all I'm gonna say. GO FOR IT

OP
OP
M

montegobay

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2006
Salvor 6,
You the man, I don,t know that I will get down to that neck of the woods this trip, but in the future I would certainly like to go down there and look around. I am not greedy, I don't want all the plunder, Just a little bit more than my share. Typical pirate attitude I suppose.

Thanks a bunch for the info and I will keep you posted on my progress.

Best Regards,
Chuck

MikeyG

Jun 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in any information on shipwrecks on the north coast of Jamaica. I have a small farm above Montego Bay and am going down there in January. I am also going to start my treasure hunting career in January in Jamaica.Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a treasure map to one!

The Real Treasure Hunters

Attachments

• IMG_7120.jpeg
    IMG_7120.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 50

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=montegobay . I am a power lineman by trade but when I grow up I,m going to be a treasure hunter, gold miner, fisherman, hunter, and a golfer but I'm only 51 so I have a few years until I'm mature enough to engage in these types of activities.
I am based out of Montego Bay so I Figured that is where I would start. Jason Thanks for the info on the book ,I will pick up a copy and start my research. est Regards,Chuck

Sheeze Chuck you sound almost like me, except instead of a line man, I was a professional bum, still am as matter of fact,

On your list ok, except for golfer shees, that was the worlds greatest joke played on the Scots. substitute Flying for that.

Tropical Tramp
This an old thread here.

Real de Tayopa was a former US border guard who moved to Mexico, then became owner of the Tayopa mines complex. Total 18-19 mines and he found many of them. Shortly before disappearing from the forum TN, the Tayopa mine entrance was found, opened up. Don't know if something happened in the mine shaft or old age got him, maybe decided to keep this discovery a secret. Anyway, Tayopa mine had a reputation of being the richest deposit. Apparently, the Spanish at Tayopa had planned a rebellion storing up treasure.​

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread