wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tehran, 19 December 2006 (CHN Foreign Desk) -- Based on initial agreements between Iran’s Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization (ICHTO) and South Pars Oil Company, a center for underwater archeology will be established in the Persian Gulf as the first attempt to recover the Partho-Sassanid shipwreck discovered last September at a depth of 70 meters near the port of Siraf.

“According to articles 9, 10 and 11 of the memorandum of understanding signed between ICHTO and South Pars Oil Company, the Company has accepted to take charge of the establishment of a research center for underwater archeological excavations in the Persian Gulf. Based on this agreement, recovering the discovered Partho-Sassanid shipwreck will be the first priority of this center,” said Hossein Tofighian, director of ICHTO’s Underwater Archeology Research Center to CHN.

The recent discovery of the remains of an ancient merchant ship and its cargo, believed to have belonged to either the Parthian (248 BC-224 AD) or Sassanid (224-651 AD) dynasties, in the Persian Gulf attracted the attention of world archeologists and many expressed their willingness to cooperate in its recovery process, which is an absolutely challenging task.

During his recent trip to Greece last month, Taha Hashemi, director of ICHTO’s Archeology Research Center, invited Greek archeologists specialized in underwater excavations to cooperate in this project after he paid a visit to their underwater archeology equipments and found them appropriate for this project. According to Tofighian, salvation of the shipwreck will start once the Greek archeologists arrive to Iran.

The discovery of the Partho-Sassanid shipwreck and its cargo was made accidentally by the local fishermen. Initial studies were then carried out for the first time by Darya-Kav-e Jonub Company (Southern Sea Investigation Co.) on behalf of ICHTO under the supervision of experts from the Department of Underwater Archeology of Iran’s Archeology Research Center. A short documentary was also made from this ship which revealed that the ship’s cargo contains big jars, known as amphora, which were in use only during the Parthian and Sassanid dynastic periods.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Don't you think that the timing of this is kinda strange when the U.S. announces it is deploying a New carrier group into this same area.
GAMES BEING PLAYED HERE.
Peg leg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Please tell us more about this latest conspiracy theory of yours.

I honestly don't see the connection.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Well since I was involved in provding Military information so a certain counties I have a different outlook on some things.
Iran has stated that it plans on doing some work in the Persian Gulf this means that they will have a number of boats scouting the area correct?
Not all these boats will be connected to underwater searching of old historcial sites. Most if not all will be Military in nature and I expect a few will have missles. They will be able to track an aircraft carrier with ease and the coming and going of the aircraft as well.
Do you really think that Iran is interested in anything in the Persian Gulf except what the U.S. has there? Give me a break.
Peg leg

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
All,
PegLeg is probably a bit over 75% correct in his take on the Iranian government's concern on this site. The Iranian's will probably use it as an excuse to conduct surveillance on US Navy ship operations. (Not that they don't already.....anybody here been on a US Navy ship passing throught the Straits of Hormuz?) Been there, done that, don't cross the center of the channel. If you do, you're fair game to be fired upon by the Iran Navy, or in the case of the USN, just harrassed a bit. Gdaddy, it's probably not a conspiracy theory but it is a cause for caution.

Nothing in the Mid-East is ever as it appears on the surface. In order to conduct any sort of survey on a wreck site, it takes boats, or ships, as the case may be. And government involvement. If there is going to be any archaeological investigation of this wrecksite, one can be guaranteed that there will be military ships from the host country involved in any area of the Mid-East. And yes, they will be armed to the teeth, or as armed as they can be. That is the natural state of affairs here. I find it interesting that in Wreckdiver's post that it refers to: "Articles 9, 10, and 11 of memorandum of understanding signed between ICHTO and South Pars Oil Company, the Company has accepted to take charge of the establishment of a research center for underwater archeological excavations in the Persian Gulf. Based on this agreement, recovering the discovered Partho-Sassanid shipwreck will be the first priority of this center,” said Hossein Tofighian, director of ICHTO’s Underwater Archeology Research Center to CHN". (The wording alone of this statement sounds so very familiar with contracts that I have had to deal with here in Egypt. Written by Arab lawyers who have perfected vaguery and making a profit from half-fulfilled agreements). If I have read this statement correctly, it means that South Pars is taking on full responsibility (and financing for) this venture, i.e. at not cost to the Iranian Government. By doing so, they (South Pars) will ensure that they are able to continue to conduct business in Iranian waters, put money into the Iranian government's hands for the establishment of the research center (whether it actually happens or not), and will have to deal with the Iranian Navy's presence in the area (so that they can monitor USN ship movement?).

Will step up to the proverbial "soap box" here for a moment: Until you understand the mentality of governments in this region (that would be a major amount of paranoia?), and the reasons behind it. You can't understand the motivation behind an endeavor like this. Back to what I stated previously: "Nothing in the Mid-East is ever as it appears on the surface".

Just my 2-cent's worth....okay, you got the full dime's worth If however, this is legit, then Iran may be trying to reach out ot the rest of the modern world to allow legitimate archaeological research on this wreck-site. But guaranteed, it will come with a price tag attached. But maybe we should listen......or maybe not......

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
The same thing can be said about those coming to the U.S..
When if ROME.
These people have been fighting each other since the beginning of written history and will continue till there is no history.
I would leave the area and let them kill each other for whatever reason.
BUT I would also let it be known to the ENTIRE WORLD that if you attack the U.S. we will respond with whatever weapons we have and turn their country into a sheet of glass.
This can be done without a single American losing their life. All it takes is the flip of a switch.
Here is the way I would approach this Operation.
Pick out a deserted part of Iraq.
Drop leaflets that tells everyone to look in a given direction on a given day at a given time.
I would show everyone what a NUKE looks like when it goes off.
This is for those that have no idea what the power of a NUKE is all about.
Let those that are thinking about KILLING AMERICANS what they can expect in return. These people could care less what the U.S. is all about so I would MAKE A STATEMENT that EVERYONE could understand.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread