for us a loss, for Harold Holden a treasure reunion

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On Jan. 10 Harold Holden passed away. We are sad, but there is some great treasure talk and a reunion going on - I'm sure Mel was glad to see him. Here he is in 1987 with the Gold Reliquary locket and chain he recovered at the Douglas Beach Site of the 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet (Florida):

locket find002crop.jpg

Harold also discovered and worked the 1810 wreck just south of Ft. Pierce Inlet - locally known as Archie's ballast pile wreck due to the location off a popular Ft. Pierce bar & restaurant.
For years he held an exclusive area granted by Mel Fisher from Douglas Beach to north of Ft. Pierce Inlet. Many great finds and a lot of hard work on the Treasure Coast sites - dating back to the 1960's when he first worked the 1810 area.

Harold was a close friend of Mom and I. It is without exaggeration that I can say he changed my life. The boats and diving were part of my background, but my introduction to shipwreck salvage here on the Treasure Coast came from Harold. My first coin was a Portrait Dollar on the 1810, my first treasure boat was "Royal Eight which I purchased from Harold when he retired. I still, underwater, can hear his lessons. My first day with Harold diving I never could have imagined what the 1715 Fleet would come to mean in my life. In his last years, Harold suffered from dementia/Alzheimer's. His sister moved him to Montana to be cared for, but for quite awhile he still would say to her "it's time to get the boat ready" - "it's time for the sub-contractors meeting" and he needed to go. Let us all now get our boats ready and carry on the work - we are his memory, and the treasure still waits. There are so many in recent time that have gone on - so many I admired -- here on the 1715 Fleet sites our work is not new it is a continuation of theirs and I am thankful for the path they have shown us.

(Sorry it took me awhile to let you know this on Tnet - it is a good Forum and due to shortness of time haven't been here much - my Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/goldhawgtreasure but I haven't forgotten the friends here!)

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hear hear Bonnie!!

Our Captain, Captain Harold, so many learned from him over decades.

I can still vividly recall the first time I met Harold by chance while we were both getting a newspaper on Seaway Drive across from the Pelican Yacht Club in 1996. I of course knew who he was from being a treasure enthusiast but having only read about Florida treasure hunting. So I introduced myself and asked, “Aren’t you Harold Holden?” The shorter of it, he said a diver had just quit, but the weather was bad now but he’d call me the day before the next time they went out!! My lord those were the longest days and back in the home phone days with answering machines. I was paranoid I’d miss his call because he might not leave a message!!

On the boat I met First Mate Tony Jaggers and then it was explained to me that my “job” was to be the trash guy. I was to take the “lobster bag” down with me, stay out of the way and they’d hand me the trash they would find!
I thought it was the greatest thing on Earth!! I dove all day, double shifts!! I was diving with real professional treasure finders!!

Of course more detailed lessons and learning came from Harold and Tony and soon I was to meet Diver Dave Rust, Harold’s “star” diver! Those three would become much more than shipmates. I met you and your Mom with/because of Harold and share with you the gratitude for Harold getting me started and the continuation of their work.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bonnie, I have yet to meet you and your Mom, and I never had the privilege of meeting Capt. Harold but I really can feel your pain in the loss of such a friend and mentor. He like the other pioneers in treasure salvage were driven by something all of us feel, a passion for the history, the adventure and the love of the sea. I am sure he will be missed terribly by all that knew him.
ZDD

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
Remember seeing Harold regularly when working with Bob Weller on McAllisters lease area. Harold had the north side under Mel's lease and we worked the south. Was sorta a challenge every day to see who found the most stuff. He was a great guy and those were great times!

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bonnie for info.Met Harold in 1997 when working with Weller.Really enjoyed many visits with him.Really spent a lot of time with him in 2002/2003.Joe Sheppard and myself were doing mag work at power plant and beyond.Went to Harold's house 3-4 times a week and he would review our results.Thought about him often.Au,is Tony still in Belize?Tony was my captain on the"Treasure Quest "in 1999.Kept in touch with him for a couple years after he moved.Thanks again,hi to all of you my many friends.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story's/memory's! thanks for sharing!!!! you guys and gal:thumbsup: were fortunate to have met him and some of the others that have passed recently!!!!! to Cary on their legacy is the best tribute, way to honer them.
chuck.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry to hear about Harold. Another treasure diving legend passes over the bar. Bonnie, keep up appraised of services or a celebration of life for Harold.

Tom

raddoc

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
EXCAL...AQUAPULSE
Sorry to hear of Harold's passing. I worked with him the first season he captained the ROYAL EIGHT...Mo and the Vergilona found the 500+ gold coins that year...I will never forget that day!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Raddoc, you will be happy to know that the Royal Eight has been scraped, painted and outfitted for another season on the 1715 fleet, captained by another very succesful shipwreck salvor, Bill Moore.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That little marina on the Sebastian River, just west of the US.1 bridge. Cant recall the name.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear of his passing. Old age sucks.
The marina has always been called "little hollywood" for as long as I can remember. I had my boat their for several years back in the eighties. I was told a retired police officer from the city of Sebastian now owns it along with the resturant which is called downriggers - I think. I remember seeing several salvage boats in that marina over the past 35+ years.
My mind is not as good as it used to be - old age sucks.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just rented a slip in there a few days ago.

What do they charge for a slip?

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. I did not mean to go off topic here. A person passed away, and this thread should have nothing to do with anything else.
A new thread should be started about the marina, what they charge, and how good the food is.
Just my two bits.
Again I am sorry.

OP
OP
captbonnie

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
sure caught my eye to see this thread pop up - Harold would be pleased to know that "Royal Eight" will be working again and with such a great crew - Mom and I sure are - loved Harold -and the boat too

Great memories keep us motivated

raddoc

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
EXCAL...AQUAPULSE
Stop by the marina and saw Harold's old boat... She's looking pretty good. Smaller than I remember though... LOL

Attachments

• image-3838538610.jpg
    image-3838538610.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2583591445.jpg
    image-2583591445.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 83

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions