Indian River chart circa 1878 shows "snag" almost directly behind Bonsteel Park

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had recovered several rather large "egg" ballast stones and two nice timber sections that became exposed on the beach... one timber with three iron spikes in it and one with a wooden "tree nail" running through it... Definitely period correct material)... Along with the usual 1/2'ers, 1's and a few 8 reales over the years from the beach in this area... Never searched area in the water just offshore from where these items were...

The presence of scattered ballast at the site is very interesting. I thought conventional wisdom was that the superstructure from another wreck deposited the cobs at the Bonsteel location? It is hard to believe the cannon have not been located by a mag survey at some point...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand, Art McKee and others recovered many cannon from along the coast way back in the 50's and 60's... No details on the specifics of this but it would not surprise me if some were recovered from this stretch... The ballast definitely indicate a large vessel...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although, I would not rule out superstructure scattered in this area as wreckage with some ballast certainly could be dragged by the currents... I haven't found a large concentration of ballast so your guess is as good as mine...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread