Chagy.....

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Todd, the Nuestra Senora de Guadelupe was never lost in the 1750 hurricane (I assume this is the one you speak of). It was grounded on Ocracoke Island, NC and the treasure was unloaded there. Two sloops stole some of the treasure. The Guadelupe was soon repaired and then went on to Virginia before sailing home.

The Soledad was lost about "5 leagues" below there, but the treasure cargo was fully recovered. The ship was lost to the breakers.

It's the El Salvador (which was lost "15 leagues" south near Old Topsail Inlet) is the one that several guys/companies are looking for today. My guess is that they'll never find it. In 1772, there was a massive storm that altered the existing outer banks of that day...not to mention the others since then. The El Salvador is likely to be on land. Also, I found a letter in the NC archives that speak of a privateer from St. Augustine that came and salvaged the "Spanish ship" shortly after the storm of 1750. The El Salvador was the only ship in need of salvaging, so I speculate that this is the ship that indeed was visited by the privateer. It could be seen by many from shore and it was likely salvaged privately and professionally.

Nonetheless, I hope someone finds it and puts an end to the mystery :)

Godspeed!
Darren

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I gues the question is which Guadalupe? You must keep in mind that there were many vessels with the same names.....Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe, Concepcion, Rosario, etc......

All the best,

Chagy.......

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
sorry chagy for not bieng more descriptive....not being a researcher of ships or spanish, well you know...just something that sparked an interest......anyway, heres the story i got...a little different from the one darren has posted but you know how treasure stories go.......bonilla ordered the ships into okracoke inlet to wait out the storm...after which they surveyed damages and all were repairable except the nuestra senora de guadalupe which was severly damaged and barely able to stay afloat...while crewmen worked to keep her afloat others were hurriedly unloading her treasures to the other ships...before this was accomplished she sank, carrying a good portion of her gold and silver cargo to the bottom of the pamlico sound......unequiped for salvage operations, and in a hurry to return with the remaining treasures to spain, bonillo ordered the remaining ships back through the inlet...the nuestra senora de soledad was blown southwest and broke apart near the shore at atlantic beach/morehead city.....the el salvador was blown southwest, and while trying to make a landing near cape lookout not far from atlantic beach she broke apart.........the la casca went northeast and was blown ashore near nc/va line at currituck inlet, scattering her cargo along the beach...this cargo thought to have been spirited away by locals before the salvage/rescue ship arrived from spain to recover the precious cargo...when they arrived they found some wreckage and debris from this ship but nothing else.....................gldhntr

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello,

You are right guys that there were for sure couple of treasure galleons called "Nuestra señora de Guadaloupe". One of them was lost in 1724 in hurricane close to the northern shore of Dominican Republic, in the vicinity of Samana Bay. She was almost completely salvaged in 70´and 80´by common US - Dominican archaeological team. Artefacts from "Guadaloupe" can be seen till today in "Museo de las Casas Reales" and in "Museo Atarazanas" in Santo Domingo.

Lobo

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Todd, what was your source on this? I've got a good bit of material on the 1750 fleet, but I don't remember reading a story like yours. What's the title? Thanks, bro.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ha! Good one, Todd. Got the info...thanks! Email me if you need anything, bro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread