Need ID Help on Artifact

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
This is an extension of the post where I requested information on small iron doors such as a Boiler Door or even Hotshot Furnace door.

The item in the following pictures was found lying next to a very large (at least 130' X 30' ) wooden wreck that is lying buried in a slushy mud/silt substrate in 13' of water. There is no history available on this wreck, only that it has occassionally hung a few shrimp nets including my grandfather's. This wreck is listed in my gallery as the "TP" wreck. The item is appears to be mostly iron and very encrusted weighing in around 22 lbs.

door2.jpg

Note the hinges on the left, hole in center, and a semicircular handle on the right.

doorstanding1.jpg

It looks as though part of this item may have been surrounded by wood or some other material that has long since corroded away.

doorhandle1.jpg

Good closeup of handle. Keep in mind this was buried deep in the mud. But it is obvious that it has been exposed from time to time over the years to allow coral and barnacle growth.

doorhinge1.jpg

Closeup of Hinge area. Note the rod-like structure in the upper left that is apparently part of the door's framing.

This item is currently soaking in De-ionized water and we will begin slow-rate electrolysis once we build a large enough tank. It's obviously going to take a very long time to complete electrolysis but we want to attempt to preserve it as much as possible to increase our ability to make an identification on it.

Please let me know your opinions on what this door could have been used for.

Thanks,

Pcolaboy

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
BTT - acronym for Back To Top. Shameless way of moving my post back to the top of the forum list so that it doesn't go unnoticed 8)

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTT sounds like effective communication. Why not just posts updates in your original post so all the info is in the same thread. Hard to learn anything if you are not communicating. I think everyone enjoys your posts, I know I do. Good luck and happy hunting.
Seahunter

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Wow..great information guys. The weather has continued to suck the big one here since the last dive which was already poor conditions to start with. As soon as we get a break in the weather and a favorable strong tide, we'll be back on this site to learn more. We mainly need the strong tidal movement in either direction so we can work facing the current to carry away this fine silt.

Thanks again,

Pcolaboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread