Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Everyone,

I am doing a list of all the shipwrecks I can find in the south coast of Dominican Republic.....And I was wondering if you guys & girls can help me.
I am only interested in the south coast. If you can add to my list it will be really appreciated. Here is what I have so far.........

#1. 1509 a hurricane struck the port of Santo Domingo, a small vessel owned by a religious named Mariscal was wreck on a the small key Alto Velo, located 50 leagues west of the port of SD.

#2. 1553 During a hurricane that struck the port of Santo Domingo 16 vessels loaded and ready to sail to Seville, were totally lost, at the same time 3 naos and a patache commanded by Cristobal Colon (grandson) were also lost near the coast.
A 3rd event occurred during this hurricane, a small patache “Begonia” carrying a large amount of gold and silver wrecked on a sandy beach in front of Las Americas airport.
The Dominican government is aware of the exact location of this wreck and will NOT issue permits on this site.
( Many vessels have been lost in the port of SD on big hurricanes in 1545 & 1737)

#3. 1556 Nao “San Bartolome” 120 tons, Captain Blas Alonso wrecked in the coast near the port of SD

#4. 1608 “unknownname” Nao from the Nueva Espana fleet, Captain General Fulgencio de Meneses, wrecked in the southern coast of the island.

#5. 1680 During a hurricane at the port of SD 0n August 15, 25 French warships commanded by the Comte de Estre and several Spanish merchantmen carrying valuable cargo from South America (T.F.) were all lost.

Thanks in advance,

Chagy........

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chagy
Came across this in an old post and thought you might be interested. I realize it is not the south coast but thought I would post it anyway.
Seahunter

Attachments

• Quicksilver_wrecks.jpg
    Quicksilver_wrecks.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 913

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro
Chagy

What do you plan on doing with the list? Im in doing some research for PR myself.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here ya go chagy

Attachments

• espanola.jpg
    espanola.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 734

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Chagy,
I met with Tracy Bowden, when I was down there with Burt Webber, 2 months ago. He knows of at least 6 wrecks that he talked about on the South Coast with piles of cannons. You can try contacting him.

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Chagy,

Clean your email box, compadre, it is overloaded and I have been trying to send you emails many times today. I have some news about one shipwreck on the south coast which could be of your interest.

Lobo

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Poor Chagy is overloaded right now with moving. He's coming to NC tomorrow on business. I'll try to slow him down a bit to check his PMs and email ;)

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chagy, your cell phone voice mail was filled up too so I couldn't leave a message. Nothing important, just miss you. ;D

Claudio

Apr 29, 2007
Chagy, in 1594, in Azua, south of Dominican Republic, shipwrecked an English ship that previously had plundered some Portuguese ships of the India. The Spaniards recovered 21 cannons of the 31 that took. He is surely the Edward Bonaventure, captain James Lengton (AGI, Santo Domingo 51). Very interesting story.

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OldMan,

Thanks for the information....I know of those piles of cannons they are in Caballo Blanco, lots of people know about them...
I was supposed to meet with Burt last week but I was tied up with work....I will be back in Miami tomorrow and hopefully I can meet with him there or later on in DR....

Bobadilla,

Compadre, I will send you a few lines via e-mail...My friend I have been extremely busy.....

Claudio,

Thank you very much for the information.....

Tom,

I will be back tomorrow, looking forward to dive with the group soon....I am dreaming with gold coins....now I really have cabin fever....I need to be in the bottom of the sea.....

All the best,

Chagy..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread