Treasure in Lakes and Rivers?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lonsdale, Adrian L. and Kaplan, H.R., A Guide to Sunken Ships in American Waters (Arlington, VA, Compass Publications, Inc., 1964)

Berman, Bruce D., Encyclopedia of American Shipwrecks (Boston: Meredith Press, 1972)

Many wrecks are listed for inland waters.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There's some really good stuff in the great lakes, from shipments of civil war armament to gold and gemstones. Get yourself a dry suit though. :D What area are you in?

Jason

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Some salvors are even making a nice amount bringing up submerged old growth timber logs so you can see that there are many opportunities. Rivers can change course and leave sunken vessels in what now may be a farmers field. This happened with the Missouri there was a paddle wheeler recovered not too far from my old home in KC,Mo. I believe this is coverecd in another thread on the forum. It was exciting to see the wide variety of goods that the Arabia was carrying most being so well preserved that the wool coats and leather boots look like you could wear them today.

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Starsplitter

I sure don't have much knowledge of your area sorry. It may just take some time to research and find what you are looking for. It has been a while but I have seen listings of the lakes lost vessels online somewhere so if you can locate that and or use local sources such as archived newspapers in libraries. Insurance company records maybe ? I have been curious how a compass would work over water on land you can use one on edge to work as a poor mans mag.

If you want to see some salvage work details: http://www.1856.com/index.html It cost around 3 mil 20 some years ago to get this one.

Keep on diggin thats the only way it gets done.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Oldbillin:

Thanks for the post, and the website. I saw something on TV about the Arabia a few years ago. Fascinating story. I wonder though... it mentioned 300-400 boats lost on the Missouri (for example). If that many were lost on the Missouri, what about the Ohio or Mississippi? And, I wonder how many of those were large (as in the size of the Arabia which according to the website was a medium sized boat). How many had their cargoes salvaged?

Finding records of losses may is probably less difficult than locating information on 19th century salvage. It is interesting that the boat was under a corn field. I realize river courses change, but by half a mile! How the hell did they figure out the thing was there in the first place?

I find river (black water) salvage a bit more appealing. In some respects it is more difficult. However, it has advantages over open water (as in Great Lakes) - especially if the find is buried (as in the Arabia). The technology to locate and salvage (and cost) would seem to be less costly. And, the cargo (if the Arabia is any indicator) in far better condition.

Again, thanks for the info.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
StarSplitter,

Sounds like you are on the right track. I've done a fair amount of river hunting of a different kind that might also interest you. Look through history books and try to find crossing sites from the civil war era. Around here we have "Rock Crossing" and an area near the Falls here that Civil war brigades would march into, camp on the banks, and then do a mass crossing the next morning. The camp site has been well hunted, but I did rather well in the water with my MD. Rivers were also good locations for trading posts and indian sites.

You might look into sub-bottom profilers as well, rivers have a tendancy to silt things over, so sonar might not show you anything, a mag would locate most vessels that would be found in rivers. Good luck!

Jason

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Starsplliter, When you open that link, click on articles, left hand of page, then click on The Search for the Maple Leaf. Meant to add that on last post

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Took a good look at the Mapleleaf site. I agree, there is a lot of good info there. Fascinating. About the sub-bottom profiler; sounds expensive. But, I can understand the utility of it.

The Mapleleaf got me thinking... I wonder if all Civil War wrecks are in southern waters... in other words, if any boats went down the Ohio laden with military supplies, hit a snag and sank? I imagine such a find might be very valuable depending upon the cargo.

Just thinking.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks Oldbillin... will check it out.

Incidently, I shot an email to the Campus Ameritus Museum in Marrietta, Ohio asking if they held any records on the Ohio River. No response yet. The Great Lakes Historical Society is based out of Vermillian, Ohio (less than an hour away from me). I've visited the museum there a couple of times over the years. Very nice.

I wonder what the salvage laws are on rivers? Hmmm.

Thanks again.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Most states group rivers, lakes, and shorelines into the category "submerged lands". You should find out what Ohio's stance is, my state takes the stance "You can look but don't touch...in fact, we'd rather you didn't look". :D You can get 20 years for removing ANY artifact from any submerged lands here. Some guys looted a Spanish Galleon off Padre Island and ruined it for the rest of us.

Get in touch with the Govt. Historical and Archaeological entity there. Make them your friends! Tell them what you are looking for, and it's possible they may actually help you. There is a common mis-perception that all states are just out to steal your finds. In truth, this normally only happens if you act like a pirate. If you are up front and work with them, let them get an archie involved, you can usually come out ahead...and without fear of legal recourse.

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread