Gold on the Beach

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Greetings Old Hands:

Can you provide any tips on searching for coins, etc. on beaches near old wrecks? Up in the soft stuff? In the surf? Is there a problem doing it near wrecks currently being salvaged (remember, on the beach, not underwater at the wreck site)? Is it worth the time? Finally, how far out can one go underwater before it infringes on salvers rights?

Thanks.

Mark

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Glad you asked! I am wondering the same thing. I'm sure someone will be able to help with this.

Pcolaboy

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
starsplitter said:
Can you provide any tips on searching for coins, etc. on beaches near old wrecks? Up in the soft stuff? In the surf? Is there a problem doing it near wrecks currently being salvaged (remember, on the beach, not underwater at the wreck site)? Is it worth the time? Finally, how far out can one go underwater before it infringes on salvers rights?

You can hunt on the beach provided it's not a private beach. Check with the county if unsure. The lease areas around Florida go all the way in to the low tide line. When beach hunting near a lease area, I wouldn't even get my feet very wet, much less go into the water. Once you hit the water, you fall under the submerged lands act, which requires a whole different set of rules for you to follow. Stick to dry land if you don't have the proper permits in place, otherwise you are asking for trouble, and they do watch!

As for it being worth your time, it depends. Directly after a hurricane when much of the sand is stripped away, it can be VERY worth your time. Most days, you'd be lucky to get one shipwreck find in a full day. You might find some modern change and jewelry along the way, but chances are slim for finding many artifacts. It happens, but they are few and far between. Remember, this stuff is sitting on the bedrock, under 8-20 feet of sand. Ocassionally one is found near the surface, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Hope that helps,

Jason

Jason

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
It's all about being at the right place at the right time. As Scubafinder said directly after a hurricane would be worth anyone's time, but the next incoming tide will start to cover things back up quickly and every incoming tide therafter. A Nor-eastern for about 4-5 days straight will also do the trick.

You can hunt from the toe of the dune to the water line. Make sure your detector works in wet sand, best to stay out of the water, We do watch from the boats and when a diver from shore is seen with a metal detector in the water most will report it! getting your feet wet is one thing but diving is definitely another! besides most can be found while beachcombing, most of the time, until the county's start to dump sand back over the beach! Over 1/2 million dollars of Treasure was found on the beach after the hurricanes of 2004. I have hunted for years in and around Florida beaches and have never run into any problems, I cannot think of any "private" beaches around Florida. All the beaches are Public, State or Federal areas. No detecting on Federal, ask permission on State and hunt all you want on Public. Some residents or condos may think they own the beach - but they don't

Remember you are competing with Professional Salvergers (off season they beachcomb!) and some locals that know exactly where the scatterfields and shipwreck ballast and remains lay and what beaches / areas are best and have produced more.

Try Corrigans or Colored Beach but stay out of the water!. A little bit of knowledge goes along way.

Jimi D Pirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread