Bahamas/Florida Shipwrecks

Diver Down

Feb 26, 2007
Florida
I am interested in shipwrecks lost in the Straits of Florida a.k.a. Bahamas Channel. I am trying to find a copy of a book called A Shipwreck Guide to the Bahamas by Tony Jaggers. I am not sure of the publisher, but think it might be self published as I have been unable to find it it book stores. Any ideas?

Trying to assemble a dedicated team of professionals to work a wreck that was found several years ago, but would first like to place a name with the wreck, to find out if it was carrying anything of value when it sank.

Bill

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I dont know of that book, but there are a lot of SCP ships that went down in the "Bahama Canal" or Straights of Florida. Many had treasure on them, and are in deep water, and have not been found. I am sure many are within modern divings capabilities. The Bahamas drops away almost suddenly into the deep. It kind of steps down till about 120 or so then just drops off, depending on where you are.

abacopirate

Jan 18, 2006
Abaco, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
whites,excaliber,pulsestar2
Just to up date everyone. There are treasure salvage ships in the Bahamas working. Two are in West End and one in Freeport. Have tried to send some pic of them but can't get them to send. They have an agrement to work. It's not who you know but how much money you are willing to spend.

Attachments

• treasurehunting001.jpg
    treasurehunting001.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 912

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have that book by Tony Jaggers. There were only 1,000 of them published. Fantastic book!

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Diver: The only info I could find was: Shipwreck Guide to the Bahamas, Turks, & Caicos. 1500-1990 For Wreckdivers & Treasure Hunters
Sarasota, Fl. Published by the Author (American Southern Printing Inc.) 280 pages, col ills, col maps,(ca 1994) Descriptive Disasters, A Guidebook for Divers! Library of Congress Call no. LC G525.J33 1994

I couldn't find an ISBN!

Joe

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is a re-post as I am unsure if the first went thru...
Attached is a photo of stones from a 17th century wreck in 95fsw along the channel. The wreck has yielded coins, chains, crosses and is still there. I have the book (binder) you asked about as well. Let me know if you have questions and we can discuss.

Attachments

• Stones-2.jpg
    Stones-2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 709

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
abacopirate said:
Just to up date everyone. There are treasure salvage ships in the Bahamas working. Two are in West End and one in Freeport. Have tried to send some pic of them but can't get them to send. They have an agrement to work. It's not who you know but how much money you are willing to spend.

Got that t'shirt I am afraid (sigh)

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dead thread resurrection:
I just received a copy of Tony Jagger's book "A Shipwreck Guide to the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos 1500 - 1990" from Alan Workman in St Petersburg. My copy is #43 and was well taken care of. I have only thumbed through it, but it looks like a great resource.
It was because of this discussion that I was made aware of this book 6 years ago. Thanks to the folks that mentioned it and thanks to Alan for getting it to me in such a timely manner.
Alan seems to keep quite a catalog of treasure hunting literature. A good source, I think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions