Found 17 Cannon & 2 Anchors in Mexico

MyPC8MyBrain

Feb 1, 2007
Found 17 Cannon & 2 Anchors in Mexico

Located while diving in a remote Caribbean area of Mexico...
In 25' of water 17 cannon and two large anchors are on the seabed.

Where to go from here ? I really dislike the thought of spending time in a Mexican jail for plundering antiquities if I was to bring something up from the site.

Anyone ever do anything like this in Mexican waters ? My detector is quivering with anticipation.

Thanks !
Don

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Found 17 Cannon & 2 Anchors in Mexico

Kiss those cannons goodbye. Mexico does not give out salvage permits to private individuals (or companys). Everything goes to the state. What area did you find it?

OP
OP
M

MyPC8MyBrain

Feb 1, 2007

salvor 6 said:
What area did you find it?

Without being too specific:
Quintana Roo... South Coast of the Yucatan

Going back down there later this month. Maybe I can snap some pictures. At least I can take pictures.

Maybe I'll just cast some of those gold bars back into dive weights and paint them silver. That way at least I can at least bring home 36# worth. [LoL]

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I was in an area similar to what you describe a year or two ago...let's just say "far South Mexico, several hundred yards offshore in shallow water???...near the border with Belize. You really don't want to screw around down there, they are quite serious about it. We made some very small recoveries...basically what we could find sitting around while pretending to Lobster dive. Without blowing holes, there is'nt much good stuff just laying around. Did you see the ballast pile about 50 yards to the South?

Seriously though, you'd never pull of a large scale operation down there...and as a small time operation...you'd be risking your life and freedom. I was with a well known local lobster diver...so they really didn't look twice at us.

Good luck

pmura67

Nov 9, 2006
North Georgia from Fl

Is this area near Chetumal. My wife’s family it there. She will be going soon to sell her house. We drove there a few years ago but didn’t do any diving. Mayby next time.

gus

Oct 15, 2004

if the site is what I think it is then its been known for over 20-30 years. Lets see I think there are 15 guns which are 2.6 meters long and one small 1.9 gun. Its about 700 meters from shore and there is no ballast present, just small river stone. If this sounds familiar then its not new. I imagine a dive op starting with A took you there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread