Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was reading a book called "over the Edge of the World" about Magellan written by Laurence Bergeen. In it there was an interesting paragraph...
Magellen received orders from King Charles I on what to do if any of the ships got separated (and this I would assume be standard orders for any of the Spanish Fleet??)

"They should wait a month at the place agreed before and leave a sign which will consist of 5 rocks put on the ground forming a cross on both sides of the river, and another cross of sticks. You will also leave something written in a receptacle buried in the ground indicating the time and date the ship came by."

Now this wouldn;t be a find of gold coin treasure but as for historical value a find like this would be priceless....

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
When Captain Cook went ashore somewhere along the west coast coast of Kayak Island (he named it Kaye's Island) in Alaska, he left "at the foot of a tree, on a little eminence not far from the shore .... a little bottle with a paper in it, on which were inscribed the names of the ship[s and the date of our discovery; and along with it I enclosed two silver twopenny pieces of His Majesty's coin of the date of 1772."

I have often thought what fun it would be to try to find the bottle. As far as I can tell Kayak Island was never inhabited, at least on a regular basis, and the chances are that the bottle is still there. I have looked at most of the maps from Cook's voyage, however, to try to pinpoint the spot, but have never been able to do so, and the island is about thirty miles long.

Mariner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread