AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suppose we're still better off than the US with regards to us having the "treasure trove" act?
I assume we still have it - it years since I've been home! but recently saw a series about Northumbria wit good old Robson Green and thought I really need to make the trip!!

thanks for posting!!

OP
OP
VOC

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BVI

Unfortunately the Treasure Trove act only applies on land.

Recreational Underwater Archaeology is all but dead nowadays, as in situ-preservation having to be the first option has removed any incentive to search for and run a project ( nobody will spend all their hard earned cash year in year out just to survey a site then monitor its slow destruction).

New draconian environmental legislation (Marine Management Organisation) has made the use of dredges, airlifts, lift bags over 25kg etc, a licensable activity that cost both time and money, so that has put paid to most small groups running active archaeological projects.

The state funded sector has so little cash they are also doing next to nothing.

Its a very sad situation for a Maritime Nation that for so many years was at the forefront of a Underwater Archaeology.

It makes my heart bleed to see wrecks like the Sterling Castle, Roswijk, Colossus, etc, etc, just eroding, corroding and being swept away due to the flawed ethical thinking of a few who don't have the interest, motivation or money to do it themselves.

Still the trashing and looting sites is thriving as people know that if the grown-ups are not interested in recovering the stuff they cant be interested in having the knowledge controlled recovery would have brought.

Sad old times. Stay in the BVI the UK had f*ckef itself on so many levels from uncontrolled immigration to unnecessary legislation.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi BVI

Recreational Underwater Archaeology is all but dead nowadays, as in situ-preservation having to be the first option has removed any incentive to search for and run a project ( nobody will spend all their hard earned cash year in year out just to survey a site then monitor its slow destruction).

New draconian environmental legislation (Marine Management Organisation) has made the use of dredges, airlifts, lift bags over 25kg etc, a licensable activity that cost both time and money, so that has put paid to most small groups running active archaeological projects.

Its a very sad situation for a Maritime Nation that for so many years was at the forefront of a Underwater Archaeology.

It makes my heart bleed to see wrecks like the Sterling Castle, Roswijk, Colossus, etc, etc, just eroding, corroding and being swept away due to the flawed ethical thinking of a few who don't have the interest, motivation or money to do it themselves.

Still the trashing and looting sites is thriving as people know that if the grown-ups are not interested in recovering the stuff they cant be interested in having the knowledge controlled recovery would have brought.

Sad old times. Stay in the BVI the UK had f*ckef itself on so many levels from uncontrolled immigration to unnecessary legislation.

Hey VOV

Agree with all your points!!

didn't know about TT only being applicable to land - as I only stated MD'ng in the sea once I got here!! the water, shall we say, TOASTY :laughing7:

I despair about the crazy rules and regs there now - I remember as a kid watching the Mary Rose come up on Blue Peter and thought how great it was the Govt saving history.

I read somewhere that the big company MARINE ODESSY (?) id working on a lot of UK wrecks, but only those with treasure (of which they keep 80% I think)

I still have property near the South Coast but have not been back for a longtime - but I keep up with the news and despair what has happened to the once "GREAT" Briton :censored:

Happy Hunting!!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BVI

Unfortunately England is not the only Country to impose such ridiculous standards.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great little video, reminds me of another group of divers that use Zodiacs and other inflateables.
Thanks for posting this up.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread