Ideas for searching just off the beach...

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Every time I have been metal detecting the beaches over there I watch the action of the waves. It seems to me that the waves would work as a natural sluice and all the heavy gold would sink to the bedrock. Once it goes down to a certain point it may never come back up. I always picture this line of gold just like the line of gold in the cleanout apparatus on the "Gold Rush and Bering Sea Gold shows. Only it is made up of coins and bars. I have dreamed of ways to go after it. I have some ideas. It is there waiting to be found. Someday someone is going to get it.

I don't know the rules but I have always been told that anything between high tide at the dunes and low tide at the waters edge is there for the taking. If this possible line of gold is just at the waters edge do you need a permit to get it and what kind of equipment are you allowed to use? I know of someone that made a hand powered device that got ordered off the beach and was not allowed to use it.

OP
OP
R

raddoc

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
EXCAL...AQUAPULSE
Would a side scan sonar tell me how deep the sand is say between the first and second reef? I have no detailed knowledge of how the sonars work...just general.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Would a side scan sonar tell me how deep the sand is say between the first and second reef? I have no detailed knowledge of how the sonars work...just general.
Side Scan Sonar pretty much just shows the surface of the bottom. Sub-Bottom Profilers show the make up of the sediments under the surface but don't work very well in shallow water

Un-shore

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always understood that anything from the high tide line out to 3 miles belongs to the American Empire and they even frown upon snorkeling in their waters, I could be wrong.

With that being said, who would throw a couple of kids in the brig for building sand castles in the surf?

rancherjl

Jan 22, 2013
Palm Bay, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i ---- Garrett Ace 350 -------
propointer---------
wireless headphones---
lische with T handle --- stealth & rtg scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the water is leased and no treasure hunting in the water
ok from on the beach from the dunes to the low tide water line--stay off the dunes
I hunt the area frequently
there will be a 1715 treasure hunters cookout Sat April 26 at US1 in Sebastian
RancherJL

rancherjl

Jan 22, 2013
Palm Bay, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i ---- Garrett Ace 350 -------
propointer---------
wireless headphones---
lische with T handle --- stealth & rtg scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the water is leased and no treasure hunting in the water
ok from on the beach from the dunes to the low tide water line--stay off the dunes
I hunt the area frequently
there will be a 1715 treasure hunters cookout Sat April 26 at US1 in Sebastian
RancherJL

OP
OP
R

raddoc

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
EXCAL...AQUAPULSE
The best method for shallow water recovery is a Keene dredge. The one I use for work has wheels so you could unload it from a truck and push it to the water. We then spud it into the bottom and begin a search. The complete article I wrote is located at: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...enforcement-use-dredge-evidence-recovery.html

I am thinking the small dredge is the way to go..very nice article BTW..thank you for the link..and for your service..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread