price for seventeen century ink well found in port royal

Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this ink well in the harbor snorkeling one day don't have a clue on the value looks pre earthquake 1692 any insight would be greatly appreciated photo (1).JPG

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you give the dimensions or post a pic with something for scale, a ruler works best.
ZDD

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your stoneware bottle is more than likely late 18th to early 19th century period as is much of the partially exposed materials in Kingston Harbor - Port Royal area. The pre-1692 materials tend to be under layers of silt, trash, and sewage these days. Additionally, I would be very careful removing anything from the area around Port Royal since it is a Unesco world heritage site and is protected by the Jamaican Hertiage Trust...

OP
OP
P
Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks zdd here are some of the pics with a ruler next to it one of them shows a crack maybe from the earthquake photo (7).JPG photo (4).JPG

OP
OP
P
Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to 3 1/2 inches wide by 10 1/2 inches tall. As for the heritage trust diving conch in the harbor is not illegal.

OP
OP
P
Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information phips folly. Any relic hunting in port royal has to be done discreetly or you will find yourself in trouble.

OP
OP
P
Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the detailed information surf. The vessel that I have changes thickness towards the center and has no makers mark.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask what is discreet about posting the facts in an open forum on the Internet and using the forum name you have?
It looks like late 1800's piece to me

OP
OP
P
Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gatorboy and herb. I guess when heritage trust knocks on my door I will change my forum name.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread