Gem stones and shipwrecks?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pearls aren't a gemstone, but they were shipping back quantities of them to Spain. Columbus sailed right past Isla de Margarita without discovering their great pearl fishery (if that is the right term).

They also sent back diamonds, but usually set into gold jewelry, rather than loose.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
The reason for the question I just purchased a chunk of CORUNDUM (RUBY AND SAPPHIRE MATERIAL) that he said he recovered yesterday near Sabastian. He had no idea what is was so I gave him $5.00 for it. It is about 30 carats rough and have been polished somewhat by the sand. Yes I know that corundum is very hard but this piece first looked like a rough diamond.
ANOTHER mystery. There is NO color but is almost clear.
I will send it off to the G.I.A. and see what they say.
Thanks
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Here is a little something that may interest some of you.
Yea I know it should be in the Gems and Rocks section but since I am here I might as well mention it.
Did you know that there are PETERIFIED PALM TREES in the SWANNEE RIVER? ::)
Peg leg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Can you say on the forum who you purchased it from Pegleg, unless it is a secret?

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
gdaddyflex,
The person that recovered this stone has only been doing this for about 1 year.
He is 74 years old and has a NEW lease on life.
I got him interrested and he now goes every weekend and whatever he finds he bring it to me and we will sit and discuss his finds.
He has recovered a few coins, wood, hails and other odds and ends.
WE are working together on converting a Golf Cart to a Beach Cart that looks like a MINI Half Track so I can go beach searching.
His name is not important but I can tell you that he marks on a map no MATTER WHAT IT IS every location where he finds something.
Peg leg
PS:
The Beach Cart is electric

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If it is clear it may be quartz. Any gem shop will test its hardness and conductiveness and tell you what they think it is.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Stevemc,
It IS corundum. I did A FEW TEST MYSELF.
I was a buyer of Gem Stones from Africa years ago (1991).
But I have never seen a clear piece of corundum before.
Nothing but a diamond will scratch this piece.
I wonder if it was mistaken for a diamond somewhere along the line?
Oh well so much for stones found on beaches.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Grubby,
I understand this but I was wondering WHY a piece of this minerial was washed up on the beach near Sebastian?
At first glance it appeared to be OCTAHEDRAL but closer examination shows it is not. I just thought this was unusual and may be a clue to something else not to far away. :o like emeralds?

I will just add it to my collection as well.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread