The pirates of St. Croix circa 1717...at least 2 vessels sunk after some rich prizes

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pirates of st. croix.png

The pirate leader in question is John Martel. Historical records indicate these "gentleman" had taken a number of rich prizes just prior to venturing to St. Croix to careen (they had at least 2, maybe as many as four vessels...the historical accounts differ somewhat).

In any event, looking at the charts around St. Croix, the potential areas where this action might have occurred seem fairly limited.

The Scarborough was a Fifth-rate, so she probably would have drawn around 12 feet or so...obviously she was unable to get into the harbor or bay where the pirates were careening...

The only actual islands on the north side of St. Croix are Buck Island, Green Cay and Protestant Cay in present day Christiansted. The latter seems the natural choice, and if so, locating the wrecks would probably be impossible for various reasons.

But things may have changed in 300 years. Perhaps some of the present bars around the island were actually small islands themselves back in 1717...

I realize the Royal Navy and the pirates themselves probably thoroughly salvaged the sunken vessels, but I am not fixated on finding another Atocha. Any input, ideas or St. Croix stories would be appreciated. This just seems like a fun little look-see project to put together for a dive vacation. And, yes, I understand the legal issues. Look but don't touch.

These birds must have been very close to shore and in very shallow water...

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the links.

Separated at birth ??

johnny martel.png Johnny Martel johnny manziel.png Johnny Manziel

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jolly Mon you are the man!

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Protestant Cay is already inside the barrier reef to Christiansted.

Buck Island has an extensive reef system all around it, to set up on the North side, the reef has no breaks (nor E&W)...the reef to the South has breaks which would have been very tough to navigate through and set up, and would be very visible...

There is also Green Cay. They could have set up on the East side, and not been visible from Christiansted...This seems to be a choice, at least on my thoughts...

Only Christiansted has the narrow passage to a harbor which would have been a place to resupply...the Royal Navy could have set up here, and been invisible from the Green Cay approach until around the point...they would also have been protected by the batteries from Fort Christiansvaern.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread