Encouraging Florida to streamline the permitting process

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am starting this thread to avoid hijacking buccanneer1961's thread on another subject.
Here is a link to the original thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/s...ent-has-been-worked-treasure-still-there.html

Here's where it started:
I wrote:
"There is little we can do to make it easier for ourselves and/or others to find and identify wrecks -treasure and otherwise -the one thing we all...as a community of treasure hunters/enthusiasts...might be able to do is to put pressure on the State of Florida to make getting exploration and salvage permits somewhat easier, or at least more predictable. I think Gov. Scott would be much more likely to agree to this than now-candidate Crist, so perhaps if the election comes out with Scott as the winner we could do some sort of letter writing campaign to get the Bureau of Hysterical Reactions back under the control of sensible humans and make it possible to get back to the business of finding, recovering and documenting underwater artifacts, historical and otherwise."

Grossmusic said:
"
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ropesfish
we could do some sort of letter writing campaign to get the Bureau of Hysterical Reactions back under the control of sensible humans and make it possible to get back to the business of finding, recovering and documenting underwater artifacts, historical and otherwise.

I'm all for that.

But you're right that it is probably prudent to wait for the election results, so let's all make a date to return here in November (or maybe wait till after re-inauguration?) & start a thread/campaign. Even if Crist wins, it's worth a shot (so hard to refrain from political commentary!)."

My re-considered reply:
In order to foster a climate that is more easily navigated by the citizens of Florida who wish to find, document and recover historical artifacts, there needs to be a complete overhaul of the regulations regarding the permitting process, complete with time frames as to how long the State Agencies can take to respond to requests. No decades of discussion and contemplation.

The Florida gubernatorial election is November 4, 2014. From March 29 to Nov. 4 is quite a span of time to less pass underutilized.
If our assumption that Gov. Scott is more amenable to logic and reason when it comes to exploration, excavation and recovery of historical artifacts is correct, then it may be advantageous to approach his team before the election. If he wins, we're that far ahead. If he loses and Charlie Crist is in favor of the status quo (or worse) then it IS possible that there can be actions taken during the Scott administration's "lame duck" period that might act in our favor.
I'm no political person. I am merely hoping to pique the interest of someone that knows how to do whatever it is we need to do.

Sorry for the convoluted beginning to the thread, but here it is-
What say you folks?
Is anyone interested in trying to effect a change in an unfair, unworkable process?

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My knee-jerk reaction is "heck yeah!"
I don't dive (yet) but I hate seeing those who do get suppressed.

I'm not sure, however, what the better strategy is. Go for it too soon while Scott is focused on reelection, & it could backfire. Wait till he relaxes with a win & he may be more receptive. And if Crist gets elected, maybe wait till after inauguration.

?

On a personal note, I'll be out of touch mostly for the next couple months while on sabbatical, so I'm useless until July no matter what strategery is employed.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
We should act now! Don't wait. Let Rick know he'll have the support of the entire industry and it's support structure which Pat Cline and Taffi Fisher have the numbers on including those restaurants, hotels, tourism, etc. that benefit from the treasure hunters. BTW, what do the archaeologists do to benefit the economy?

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im all in!!!! i have a private forum set up just for this cause that never got any traction. private because i did not want any unfriendly's seeing our game plan!!!! it will take big guns such as taffi brent, and odyssey's support along with a legal team. i had hoped this and the other ensuing legal battle would be discussed at the cookout.
i could not get anything going but a well known name or a few well known names absolutely could!!!!!

heres the big question,.......is everyone ready and willing to do this or will they just baaaa a little, be good little sheep and get back in the sheep yard?

chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread