Treasure ships wrecked in norway

geggen

Greenie
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody know about any ships with an high value cargo who is wrecked on the norwegian coast?

I live near an island kalled runde, divers found an large treasure there from an voc ship called akerendam.
But the tales from that place says it grounded an large spanish galleon many years before akerendam was shipwrecked there.

Hope somebody can help me with this.

i have an benthos sis 1624d sonar and an seabotix rov and an mx500 magnetomer avalible

[email protected]

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until someone pipes in - here is an interesting article: Locating shipwrecks along the Norwegian coast (April 15, 2013)...

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
It's not what you are looking for, but I do know of a potentially somewhat profitable wreck in the North Sea about halfway between Norway and Scotland.

The ship:
NAME: Truro
FLAG: British
DATE: September 15, 1939
ROUTE: Hull - Tyne - Trondheim
CAUSE: Sunk by German Sub U-36
BUILT: 1922 - John Duthie, Sons & Co., Aberdeen
OWNER: Ellerman Wilson Line, Ltd., Hull
TONNAGE: 974 tons
CARGO: Copper, 150 tons Nickel, 500 tons Coal
Note: The vessel was struck by a torpedo and then sunk by gunfire from the U-36.

That is, of course, assuming she wasn't discretely salvaged by the British or some salvage outfit after World War 2.

OP
OP
G

geggen

Greenie
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm i will check it out.

Does anybody have information about this ship Bona Confidentia year 1556
russian keiser Ivan Vasilivich ,lost in trondheimsfjorden with cargo gold an jewels

I also heard rumors about an nazi submarine who is lost in oslofjorden , the rumors says that the sub had an cargo in 3 million in gold wartime value, the gold prices har raised since the war. The storry says that the u boat was shot down with an mosquito airplane. Does anybody know what nazi sub this can be?

It has also been found spanish gold coin in stadt dated 1587 from the spanish armada, if anybody have some information about what ships from the spanish armada who can be lost on the norwegian coast it would be great.

On the islands around me there are alot of storries about shipwrecked sailors and admirals driftet ashore,they are also burried in the area. The drift with the golf current from the north sea to he islands around me

OP
OP
G

geggen

Greenie
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truro ( United Kingdom): World War II: The cargo ship was torpedoed, shelled and sunk in the North Sea 130 nautical miles (240 km) east north east of Rattray Head, Aberdeenshire (58°20′N 2°00′E) by U-36 ( Kriegsmarine). Survivors were rescued by the trawlers Edwaard van Flaaneren and Nautilus (both Belgium).[3

OP
OP
G

geggen

Greenie
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skipsvrak .jpg Around this area , i dont know how deep it is there

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I also heard rumors about an nazi submarine who is lost in oslofjorden , the rumors says that the sub had an cargo in 3 million in gold wartime value, the gold prices har raised since the war. The storry says that the u boat was shot down with an mosquito airplane. Does anybody know what nazi sub this can be?

There is only one U-boat that fits that description, which is the U-735. She was sunk by a British air raid on December 28, 1944 near Horten.
The vessel was discovered by a Norwegian minesweeper during a training mission in 1999. The exact location was 59.28,2N, 10.29,3E at a depth of 195 meters.

Most likely there was no gold on board. But you never know.

There was another U-boat sunk in the same area. But the vessel struck a mine. That was the U-1273 on Feb 17, 1945.

OP
OP
G

geggen

Greenie
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm thats strange beacuse i have the logbook from the mosqito pilot who shot down the submarine. And the germans sendt up an plane to shot down the mosquito, but the mosuito shot down the german plane. And the german plane is found so the story is true.

Does anybody have an list who shows what submarines who left norway in the last days of war with gold cargo?

My benthos sis 1624d can go to 1750m so it is no problem to search in 200m of waterdepht ,max range in 100khz is 1000m so it can cover an big area.
but i dont have big enoght boat to search in offshore conditions in the north sea:(

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Ok, I did a little more research and found a total of 8 U-boats sunk by or with the assistance of de Havilland Mosquitos during World War 2. They are:
U-976
U-821
U-998
U-804
U-843
U-1065
U-251
U-2359

Of these, only one was sunk in Norway, but was later salvaged and scrapped. But five of them were sunk just outside of Gothenburg, Sweden. The other two were sunk in France.

Cerem

Oct 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
GPR Zond 12e, Lorenz Deepmax X6 and other
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,
Never was looking for Spanish galleons in the North Sea. If the wreck is gold that's for sure I find, because my
method consists in finding precious metals - not wrecks. This is the only way to search for treasure schipwrecks among other wrecks. Exploration at sea is less accurate than on land due to the low accuracy of the maps of the seabed. Answer If you are still interested

Cerem

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
You would have to be asking what a Spanish galleon is doing off the coast of Norway in the first place. Anything missing in the Spanish Armada casualties?

OP
OP
G

geggen

Greenie
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the spanish armada was in 1588 they took the route near norway and around irland to get home when the battle was lost, some of the is said to be shipwrecked on the norwegian coast beacuse of the storm and the wind/golf current

OP
OP
G

geggen

Greenie
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anybod have any other ships who may have som values wrecked in norway?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread