Unidentified Shipwreck Artifacts

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
The Wreck Valley ran to an unidentified wreck off the south shore of Long Island New York on 3-31-07. We had flat seas and 25 ft vis on the bottom. The wreck was very interesting. Had a prop shaft, boiler, steel propeller and brass everywhere. Before to long 3 lift bags hit the surface. Capt.EdSlater recovered the first, I found the 2nd and Jimmy Faz got the 3rd.The wreck is also brass pined.Not exactly sure what they are( we do have a good idea) but each weighs 60-100 pounds and is a combination of brass and wood. We will definitely be going back to this one. Hopefully very soon and with the water dredge!!

Can anyone confirm what they are?
http://www.aquaexplorers.com/scuba_conditions_report.htm

Attachments

• artifacts 2007 003.jpg
    artifacts 2007 003.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 705
OP
OP
W

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
I think we figured out what they are. Looks like the tops of a sampson post or towing bit. Wreck might have been an old wood tug boat. Still interested in any feed back.

Capt. Dan
www.shipwreckexpo.com

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Hey Capt. Dan, Its funny to see you here. I posted a link to your web site here just yesturday. A member from Mass. was looking for wrecks in the sound. I dont dive but really enjoyed your site.

kenb

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
I agree with Capt. Dan (nice website BTW). Looks like a Sampson post or some other sort of rolling bit or fairway lead. Looking at the piece in the middle, it looks like it is meant to rotate. Which means that it probably would not have been used as a towing bit. Not heavy enough for that.

Mike

OP
OP
W

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
We are going to try to get back this week end (weather permitting) with a water dredge. Hopefully, we should be able to uncover some additional artifacts that might give us more info on wreck identity.

capt. Dan
www.shipwreckexpo.com

OP
OP
W

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
Just an update. The artifacts turned out to be towing bits. We went back to the wreck and moved quite a bit of sand but did not recover anything that would lead to a positive identification.

Safe Diving
Capt. Dan
http://www.aquaexplorers.com/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread