Underwater Heritage Trails

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
As some of you may know, I and a couple of partners have opened up a dive center here in Alexandria, Egypt (new website addy: "www.masterdiversinternational.com" ...a bit "cheesy" to look at, but we're still working on the site). But hey, it's my first attempt at developing a website.

I was wondering if any of you more experienced divers and salvors have been involved in establishing any of the Underwater Heritage Trails that I have read about in Florida, Australia, England, Canada, etc. Would like to hear some of your experiences, good and bad, in establishing a trail.

Popular recreational diving here in Egypt is pretty much known only to be in the Red Sea and on Cleopatra's Palace and the Pharos Lighthouse on the North Coast. As recreational diving on the North Coast of Egypt is very restricted (but we now have most of the permits) I was thinking about the feasibility of establishing a trail here that include not only the aforementioned sites, but also Napolean's flagship L'Orient in Abu Quir Bay, the sunken city of Heraklion (diving not permitted as of yet), an Italian sub in EL-Agamy (just outside of Alexandria), a couple of WWII wrecks in EL-Alamein, another Italian sub and torpedoed freighter in Marsa Matruh, and approximately 11 known wrecks in Sollum near the Libyan border (permits are still in the works).

In the meantime, I need to get out to about half of the sites listed above with my team and do site surveys in order to determine safety issues and familiarization dives with my divemasters.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing of any of your experiences if you have been involved with establishing a dive trail. In closing, would also like to know if anyone has a direct link to Franck Goddio and his organization. As the North Coast of Egypt is pretty much considered and Archaeological site and Mr. Goddio has ongoing projects here on a regular basis (their research vessel was destroyed in the harbor a few weeks ago....poor anchorage). Was thinking that it would be beneficial to contact him and discuss the dive trail idea.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Mike

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike, those Egyptian statues and hieroglyphic tablets are just awesome...I can't imagine diving there, but I sure hope to someday. Congrats on the site, I'd say it's pretty nice! Of all the places I'm wanting to dive someday...you are moving Egypt up the list. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!!!

Jason

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Narked1,

Excellent! Great statues, history and things to observe, hows the vis and temp there and whens the dive season?
Just saw in Scuba News today the new Atlantis dive site, close to Key Biscayne, Fl has lots of statues, bronze lions and entry gates and such, and also available for cremations to be entombed in the concrete. They are finishing up Phase I. Looks like a fun "1 time" dive.
Unfortunately it is in their magazine but not on the web site yet.

diverlynn

OP
OP
Narked1

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Diverlynn,
Dive season here is basically from April until the end of October. Viz varies with water temps here. In Alexandria and Abu Quir, viz is typically 6-20 feet depending on the tides. West of Alexandria the viz get a LOT better, just with stronger side currents. Temps are pretty much always in the 3-mil wetsuit range year round (5-mil with hood and gloves from November through to mid-to-late March).

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions