1715 Fleet Gold Filigree Frame (pyx)

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great news on the find by Booty Salvage of the missing back piece to the Gold Filigree Frame found in 1989 on the 1715 Fleet.
Some background on the original find:

Salvage vessel: Tamiron owned by Kenny White
Captain: Luther Peterson
Diver: Andy Matroci
Site: North Colored Beach now known as Douglas Beach, 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet, Florida
Leaseholder: Mel Fisher's Cobb Coin Company
Tamiron was under contract to, and working under the direction of, Harold Holden. Harold had recovered the Gold Reliquary Pendant with chain in 1987 and held an exclusive granted by Mel Fisher on the Northern portion of the Douglas Beach area.
The artifact is currently offered for sale by my company, Gold Hawg Treasure, LLC, as sales agent for the Holden Estate. Visit Gold Hawg Treasure for more info.

The Gold Frame weighs 73 grams, 22K and measures approx. 2-3/4" by 3-1/2". It is fashioned of gold filigree with two opening doors held by a tiny clasp. The hinges are fully functional.Research has been renewed with Booty Salvage's find! 1715 Fleet Queens Jewels has provided an identification of the complete artifact (the Frame portion with the back inserted) as being a Pyx. The original label of the Gold Frame arose from research conducted by Cobb Coin and Harold Holden. The well-known Priscilla Muller indicated the design was in keeping with pendants of the 1600/1700s fashioned to hold a religious image. Thus the "Frame". Gold Hawg Treasure is continuing research to learn as much as possible about what the missing element tells us of the origin and design of the artifact. Please comment with your thoughts - you offered great info and links on our find of the Gold Pelican of Piety.
I had a fascinating discussion with Dr. Eugene Lyon regarding the Frame and Douglas Beach. He refers to the site as that of the Nuestra Señora de Las Nieves - Our Lady of the Snows - and a
patache in the Fleet of Ubilla. It is a theory I am beginning to favor myself. Haven't been on here much - Mom and I are pleased to say we have started work on the Douglas Beach Gold Trail with our newly rigged Gold Quest. Summer is growing short and a late start but blowing a wide track!

In memory of Harold here is a photo taken in 1989 by Dan Wagner . If you have any of Luther please post - I am looking also thru my photos but not much time maybe in the Fall. harold with frame.jpg
and in case you missed Eric's post the Booty Salvage find
IMG_4526.jpg .
the original Frame and the two pieces shown together
IMG_0918.JPG IMG_4523 - Version 2.jpg

Last edited:

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread bumping, simply because this is absolutely a stunning piece and this is the first I am heari of it. Would LOVE to watch the live dig if anyone has a copyright link.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread