gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clifford's a slimeball. Actually I put my finger on the chart where Whydah lies for Barry in 1979 for 5%. He cut me out when he got backers. I had hunted her as a child and teenager and had talked to Mr. Snow who showed me the place in the early 1960s. Most of what has been found there is within a couple hundred yards of where Mr Snow showed me and I showed Barry. He also cut out a third partner as soon as he got backing.

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
I have heard so many theories about the "real" location of Santa Maria in the course of last years..... from being entered under the former sugar cane field several miles from the shore, to be under the dump area of Port au Prince, and other crazy theories, but the most I was amazed was the moment when Mr. Clifford "discovered" Santa Maria "shipwreck".... It seems that Mr. Clifford does not care that Santa Maria did not crash against the reef but she was grounded on sand bar. Everything, all the ship timbers, were taken out to build the Fort of La Navidad. It might still be there some rotten wooden pieces buried under the sandy bottom, but definitely not a "shipwreck". Also, I cannot imagine, if Barry Clifford was in Haiti searching for Santa Maria years ago and he was supposed to find a ship gun from the late 15th century, how he claims, just to leave it there without saying nothing and "remember" it after 11 years, when the gun was "stolen"...... Also, Haitian government, especially Minister of Culture, as I know, was pretty angry with some false statements of Mr. Clifford regarding "permits" and "agreements" that were supposed to be done between him and Haitian side. Well, at least it is my personal opinion.

All the best,
Lobo

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you Bobadilla for telling us the truth behind the situation.

kuon john

Greenie
Dec 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, You are correct about Mr. Snow, also Mr. Mat Costa of Provincetown, new of this he was Mr. Snow's partner for a while.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I knew Mr. Costa. I used to go to the pilgrim memorial museum in Ptown in the late 1950s and the curator there would let me read books about the wrecks on the cape. When I got real interested in Whiddah he introduced me to Mr. Snow around 1959 or 60. Mr.Snow took me to the beach and pointed out where he had found the wreck at extreme low tides in the 1930s-40s. I was just too naive when a mutual friend introduced me to Barry and I convinced him the wreck was real and still there and we made an oral agreement which was soon forgotten by him. Oh well, he's famous and made a lot of money from my story. Guess I wasn't meant to be rich. Does irritate me though when I read about the whole thing. I met him about two years ago and asked if he would ever tell the truth about how he found the wreck, but he pretended not to know me even though we had metal detected Tarpaulin cove together. We still have mutual friends and he knows who I am when they have conversations about the times we hunted around the Vinyard.

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gunsil,
Did you find anything interesting metal detecting Tarpaulin cove? I've been over there a few times, never detected there though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions