Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering, but...didn't this family partner up with the state to quarantine hundreds of miles of ocean for their own use? Please let me know - Thanks!

OP
OP
D

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just wondering, but...didn't this family partner up with the state to quarantine hundreds of miles of ocean for their own use? Please let me know - Thanks!
They fought for their leases and the state requires that they give them 20% of what they find. The state didn't partner with them, they fought them trying to take the leases away. If the state would have won, they would have made it an "archaeological preserve", no one would be allowed to remove anything. The leases have been bought by Queens Jewels and they have arrangements with people that want to be sub contractors. If it wasn't for the leases, no one would be allowed to treasure hunt in Florida. If you want to see what the state does, look up Legare anchorage wreck site in Biscayne Bay. No swimming, no snorkeling, no scuba diving, no stopping just to name a few of the restrictions

Last edited:

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No--- A corporation filed federal admiralty claims on mostly "1715 wreck sites". The language is probably unidentified, wrecked & abandoned vessel.

I believe the current lease sites are 55 miles distance but there are other leases/open areas within that stretch.

Through-out time these sites have been under stewardship by various entities. The "cabin wreck" is and has for decades been under a dual entity of legal access.

The "Fisher family" were hardly ever "partners" with the state of Florida to "quarantine hundreds of miles of ocean".

"In the ensuing two and one-half years, Florida's executive branch attempted to enforce its archives and history statute, by arresting and attempting to prosecute the plaintiff's agents and employees from salving the wreck site, despite this court's prior assumption of jurisdiction over this admiralty action." -emphasis mine

"In October of 1979, the State moved to enjoin the plaintiff from working the subject site; the motion was denied for, inter alia, lack of irreparable injury as this court ordered the State's interest protected by the placement of its agents on board Cobb Coin's salvage vessel to catalogue the items salved. In June of 1981, the plaintiff Cobb Coin again moved for an injunction against State officers from enforcing the statute by continuing to threaten, and, in fact, arrest, the plaintiff's *545 salvaging crew. On July 7, 1981, this Court entered its temporary restraining order against the impermissible interference by state officers and attorneys with the ongoing jurisdiction of the federal admiralty court. Thereafter, following an eleven-day hearing, the Court entered a preliminary injunction against "[t]he agents, employees, and attorneys of the State of Florida, including but not limited to, any county sheriff or Florida Marine Patrol Officer, ... from interfering with the plaintiff's ongoing salvage operations or arresting the plaintiff's officers, agents, and employees."

"In the summer of 1963, Mr. Mel Fisher, owner of a scuba diving shop, came to Florida from California and became associated with Mr. Wagner and Real Eight. Mr. Fisher formed salvaging groups named Universal Salvage Co., Cobb Coin Co., and Treasure Salvors, Inc. Between October 1963 and August, 1972, Mr. Fisher's companies and Real Eight worked some of the sites of 1715 wrecks pursuant to various agreements, under authority of Real Eight's State leases. Under these agreements, they divided their recoveries 50-50 after deducting 25 percent for the Division of Archives and Records Management. The combined effort yielded large quantities of gold, silver, and other valuable artifacts.[2] See Plaintiff's Exhibits No. 8 and 9 and State's Exhibit No. 68. Although the State's archivists admit to having received these artifacts, none could testify with certainty what the State now has, nor are there any records of precisely which of the artifacts it received came from the Corrigan site or other wrecks of the 1715 Fleet."

-emphasis mine AND CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!!? Sort of kills the "states/Govt" claim private sector salvage is incapable of proper recovery yet "WE" are!!

Sorry about the block text...
but hopefully this will enlighten one to the struggles that "the Fisher family" endured just to pursue their passion for treasure hunting. They were/are part of the peoples that laid the foundation for what we as the private sector has a legal right to do.

Just my "2" cents...

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good words ,Chris............ as always

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread