SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I found a ballast pile that made my sand shark go " bonkers" I also had the same readings on all the sand in the vicinity. So I called Rusty at Tesoro and he said to send it in as he suspected there was moisture getting into the coil if it false reads like this.

When he got it not only did they give it the once over, they replaced the headphone pads, shortened the cable for me and gave me two wand pads.

Great customer service by Tesoro, thanks

Ps Rusty said there was nothing wrong with the unit so the ballast pile looks a better bet for a closer look ha ha

image-2123967794.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro, American made, Arizona Tough! :notworthy:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a ballast pile that made my sand shark go " bonkers" I also had the same readings on all the sand in the vicinity. So I called Rusty at Tesoro and he said to send it in as he suspected there was moisture getting into the coil if it false reads like this.

When he got it not only did they give it the once over, they replaced the headphone pads, shortened the cable for me and gave me two wand pads.

Great customer service by Tesoro, thanks

Ps Rusty said there was nothing wrong with the unit so the ballast pile looks a better bet for a closer look ha ha

View attachment 1067195

Congrats on finding a ballast pile!

You probably already know this, but keep in mind that ballast rocks themselves are often "hot rocks"...in other words the stones themselves may be mineralized to a degree that they respond to a detector. The same type of thing often occurs with fired brick as well.

It is actually the kind of situation where having an adjustable pulse delay can come in very handy.

Often times you can dial down the delay to the point that it doesn't respond to the ballast, yet does respond to much higher conductors like silver coins. This can be especially effective around the fringes of the pile. Great good luck !!!

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
JM,

Thanks for the guidance next time I visit the pile to do the trial, one of the rocks off to one side is going to get a visit to the boat to see if it's hot and n air too. The pile was probably ballast dumped in order to load salt but you never know.

I would love to report in to Nassau that it's hot with more than just the rocks themselves ha ha.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice. One of the reasons I bought my Sand Shark is the great customer service I heard about. Haven't had any problems with mine, but its good to know Tesoro will take care of it if I do.

Please keep us updated on your ballast pile. I hope you strike gold.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BL,

They did tell me the scuff cover on the bottom of the coil was full of sand. Firstly I didn't know it came off and secondly I didn't know it was a scuff cover duh?

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Yea that scuff cover can create falsing. I forget to clean mine out all the time. Love the shark. Its a great pi detector that can take a beating.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BL,

They did tell me the scuff cover on the bottom of the coil was full of sand. Firstly I didn't know it came off and secondly I didn't know it was a scuff cover duh?

Your Sand Shark came with a scuff cover? Mine didn't, you have to buy them separately. I didn't get one because I heard about sand getting into it.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I traded a SS for my TS and danglangley's SS had a scuff cover

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would just leave the cover off. You don't need it.

Hi guys! I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but a scuff cover is very cheap insurance on s leaking coil, and is easy enough to clean out every other dive.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BL, Debbie makes a good point, I hope you don't mind if I follow her sage advice?

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I like to use the cover because I usually scrape the coil over the surface instead of hovering above it.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BL, Debbie makes a good point, I hope you don't mind if I follow her sage advice?

Far be it from me to disagree with Terry, but those covers fit VERY tight and are not easily removed. In my opinion you will subject your coil to more wear and tear by constantly removing and replacing the cover than if you just left it off.

If you're worried about banging your coil on ballast stones, put an old sweat sock over it. The sock will provide more shock cushioning than the hard plastic cover anyway.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JM,

Thanks for the guidance next time I visit the pile to do the trial, one of the rocks off to one side is going to get a visit to the boat to see if it's hot and n air too. The pile was probably ballast dumped in order to load salt but you never know.

I would love to report in to Nassau that it's hot with more than just the rocks themselves ha ha.

Every rock in the pile might not be "hot", but you get the idea...

On the coil cover falsing issue, bear in mind it takes quite a bit of mineralized black sand to cause a detector to false. "Normal" sand won't do it.

I could be wrong, but it is hard for me to believe there is very much mineralized sand in your area, if any.

Bottom line: keep the coil cover on. Scraping the coil over sand when you swing, lying it down on coral heads and rocks when attempting to recover a target, bumping into unseen objects etc., etc., will all eventually take its toll.

I hope your pile is full of Pillar Dollars !!!

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Every rock in the pile might not be "hot", but you get the idea... On the coil cover falsing issue, bear in mind it takes quite a bit of mineralized black sand to cause a detector to false. "Normal" sand won't do it. I could be wrong, but it is hard for me to believe there is very much mineralized sand in your area, if any. Bottom line: keep the coil cover on. Scraping the coil over sand when you swing, lying it down on coral heads and rocks when attempting to recover a target, bumping into unseen objects etc., etc., will all eventually take its toll. I hope your pile is full of Pillar Dollars !!!

JM,

The guy I swapped it with I think was in an area of black sand. I am going out soon and will work over the pile. I don't want to disturb it too much in case I need to tell the Archy guys in Nassau to come work it. I'll let you know,....

ACduCE

Greenie
Nov 9, 2014
Mallorca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I posted this about Tesoro customer service in Beach and shallow water previously. I punched a hole in the 101/2 in. coil on my Sand Shark with the scoop working the beaches in Mallorca. I express mailed it to Tesoro in Az. with ofur day delivery and my SS arrived in Az. on the 5th day after sending it off in Correos here in Mallorca. I put a note in with the package and also talked with Beth, Michelle and Rusty while the unit was in the mail. I bought the SS on eBay so did not have the famed Tesoro warranty on the unit so Michelle gave me the price of the replacement coil and a $50 fee for the service. Rusty replaced the coil, swapped out the headphone pads and replaced the mount for the head with a stainless one and express mailed it back to me on the same day it arrived! I paid the shipping for the return and got it back four days later! It don't get better than that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread