Silver Spikes!

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
They say, "Only technology changes - People remain the same". Enterprising individuals very well may have gone to lengths to beat the system by making silver and golden nails or spikes.

A way some folks make them today is to take an E.O. of a spike whose iron has decomposed to the point where it is ferris oxside or like dust. They drill the e.o. and then use it as a casting mold. A dead give-a-away for this is when you see the raised grain of decomposing iron cast into the silver or gold spike or nail!

Multiples to bullion value is the major reason why some scoundrels (I like that word) have resorted to this in the past. The silver may well be from old silver ingots found but not too many folks wish to pay a high multiple of bullion value when something weighs in at 50 to 80 pounds! Now... a one or 3 ounce spike at say 10 times bullion value... Opportunity cost can drive enterprising people in many directions.

Now I am not pointing the finger at anyone but silver and gold do not decomose as as iron does - so look for that grain and you may have found an interesting creation!

That is not to say it isn't old. counterifitiing is not a new idea... One could build a bridge across the ocean if they put all the relics together that are suppose to be splinters to Jesus's cross!

Capt Dom

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Capt. Dom,
Welcome back-I think.
On the nails that I have there is NOT a trace of what you are talking about but then I have no idea what you are talking about. It would appear that you are an EXPERT in this field or are you thinking out loud on how you would do it.
I wish that I had a 50 to 80 pound silver bar to play with.
My nails are not for sale.
PEG LEG

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I don't know why this is so difficult to believe. I posted pictures of the gold nail found on the 1733 site. They would have done anything to smuggle treasure back to Spain without being taxed.

How about the solid gold anchor that was painted and found by officials in Cadiz in 1606?

I have doubted some of Peg's findings and sometimes he just seems to be all over the place, but I truly believe in the notion of silver and gold spikes being used as contraband. I do a quick visual search of every timber I come across just in case.

Seeing is believing, but I hope one of you guys find one and try to post it here, and are met with this much frustration. Have a little faith. There are certainly some test that could prove the silver content as well.

Robert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread