USS New Hampshire relic help.

MaineT

Jan 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

First post.. I've metal detected without much luck over the years.. Lots of ball bearings and screws.

I had a chance to get some stuff from a dive club that was closed down for 30 years and they were selling the building. Way back in the day they dove to the USS New Hampshire and recovered relics. They put some on a board to display with a brass plate. There are a lot of spikes and nails left over along with this one large item I would like help identifying this item.

Before anyone goes there, the ship was sold off for scrap so it is not government property, it burned and sunk on the way to the scrap yard.

The spikes and copper parts are attributed to the Paul Revere Foundry and are solid copper stamped with US.

The large round thing is also copper. I put a pic of the scratch in the side of it. It appears to be split ring with iron screws or something holding it together. I know they didn't have engines back then, is it a bearing for a pole?

Any thoughts.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• image1 (2).JPG
    image1 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • AA Paul 3.JPG
    AA Paul 3.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • AA Paul 4.JPG
    AA Paul 4.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • AA Paul 5.JPG
    AA Paul 5.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • AA Paul 6.JPG
    AA Paul 6.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • AA Paul.JPG
    AA Paul.JPG
    976.9 KB · Views: 101

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

First post.. I've metal detected without much luck over the years.. Lots of ball bearings and screws.

I had a chance to get some stuff from a dive club that was closed down for 30 years and they were selling the building. Way back in the day they dove to the USS New Hampshire and recovered relics. They put some on a board to display with a brass plate. There are a lot of spikes and nails left over along with this one large item I would like help identifying this item.

Before anyone goes there, the ship was sold off for scrap so it is not government property, it burned and sunk on the way to the scrap yard.

The spikes and copper parts are attributed to the Paul Revere Foundry and are solid copper stamped with US.

The large round thing is also copper. I put a pic of the scratch in the side of it. It appears to be split ring with iron screws or something holding it together. I know they didn't have engines back then, is it a bearing for a pole?

Any thoughts.

Thanks for any help.

It looks like a pipe fitting...a bracket that holds a pipe to an overhead or bulkhead.

Though the ship was not steam powered, there would still be much plumbing aboard that would require piping.

It could also be some sort of spar collar, but the small diameter and the fact that it uses iron bolts makes me think this is unlikely...

OP
OP
M

MaineT

Jan 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, that's the best explanation I've heard yet, so I will believe it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread