2015 RULES OF UNDERWATER MEATL DETECTING AND UNDERWATER LEASE REQUIREMENTS

diverjon123

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I started a thread about underwater leases about a couple months ago or maybe a year ago. I started that thread because i was kicked off a "lease area" off the coast of south Florida. It was not in any treasure trove area that I new of. I contacted many government officials and no one could give me solid written copy of rules and regs of obtaining leases and the REAL rules of underwater meatal detecting off the coasts of Florida. I got these documents emailed to me from the State Underwater Archaeologist | Bureau of Archaeological Research | Division of Historical Resources | Florida Department of State. I hope this helps many people and I hope that everyone comes to the conclusion that recovery of any underwater artifact (no age is present in documents) is illegal and is a third degree felony. Enjoy. First few pictures are general metal detecting rules. Second is about leases.

Attachments

• image-744392021.jpg
    image-744392021.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 216
  • image-2057035259.jpg
    image-2057035259.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 161
  • image-276263886.jpg
    image-276263886.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 150
  • image-2028924329.jpg
    image-2028924329.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 162
  • image-2638153407.jpg
    image-2638153407.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2058605160.jpg
    image-2058605160.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 156
  • image-899456524.jpg
    image-899456524.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 149
  • image-1992864286.jpg
    image-1992864286.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 140
  • image-3808474720.jpg
    image-3808474720.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 145
  • image-3080800479.jpg
    image-3080800479.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 146
  • image-1482684980.jpg
    image-1482684980.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 140
  • image-3115969125.jpg
    image-3115969125.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 145
  • image-59196822.jpg
    image-59196822.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 155
OP
OP
diverjon123

diverjon123

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn seems upload quality stinks. Anyone know how to upload PDF?

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting these.

I have seen the letter from the Department of State previously. Some of the language in this letter is fairly devious. for instance:

"Since the solitary function of a metal detector is to locate buried metallic items and then recover the buried object by digging, this activity is not allowed in the water."

Note it does not say that it is illegal to metal detect in the water, simply that it is not allowed.

The Florida Division of Historical Resources is telling you metal detecting below the high tide line is "not allowed", even though it is manifestly not illegal under state statues. Of course excavation and artifact recovery are a whole different ball game.

There is much that is ripe for discussion in these laws and regulations...for instance, I can't really understand why a project archaeologist is required for an exploration permit...

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Thanks for posting these.

I have seen the letter from the Department of State previously. Some of the language in this letter is fairly devious. for instance:

"Since the solitary function of a metal detector is to locate buried metallic items and then recover the buried object by digging, this activity is not allowed in the water."

Note it does not say that it is illegal to metal detect in the water, simply that it is not allowed.

The Florida Division of Historical Resources is telling you metal detecting below the high tide line is "not allowed", even though it is manifestly not illegal under state statues. Of course excavation and artifact recovery are a whole different ball game.

There is much that is ripe for discussion in these laws and regulations...for instance, I can't really understand why a project archaeologist is required for an exploration permit...

The State Archaeologists are always expanding their efforts to eliminate treasure hunting. This has been their intent all along...according to them, there doesn't have to be a reason for any of their regulations to exist or any necessity to explain why they exist. They are in a comfortable position, having the ear of uninformed legislators who have no interest in our endeavors.

OP
OP
diverjon123

diverjon123

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jolly mon u make a very good point that I did not pick up. I will email them back with that point in it. Thanks.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this letter will "shed" some more light here...
this was a letter sent to guy I know...

---------------------------

Below the average high tide mark is State Sovereign Submerged lands where all artifacts belong to the state,
and archaeological excavation is not allowed without proper permitting from this office. In most cases permits from the Department of Environmental Protection and the
Army Corp of Engineers are also necessary. Digging or destruction of buried archaeological remains without the proper permitting from the Division of Historical Resources
is a 3rd Degree Felony. Since the solitary function of a metal detector is to locate buried metallic items and then recover the buried object by digging,
and because it can never be predetermined whether a metal object is a newly lost item or centuries old archaeological artifact, it is our policy to not allow this activity in the water.

FLORIDA STATUTE 267

267.13 Prohibited practices; penalties.

(1)(a) Any person who by means other than excavation either conducts archaeological field investigations on, or removes or attempts to remove, or defaces, destroys,
or otherwise alters any archaeological site or specimen located upon, any land owned or controlled by the state or within the boundaries of a designated state archaeological landmark
or landmark zone, except in the course of activities pursued under the authority of a permit or under procedures relating to accredited institutions granted by the division,
commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
i.) Shall forfeit to the state all specimens, objects, and materials
collected, together with all photographs and records relating to such material (punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083).

(b) Any person who by means of excavation either conducts archaeological field investigations on, or removes or attempts to remove, or defaces, destroys, or otherwise alters
any archaeological site or specimen located upon, any land owned or controlled by the state or within the boundaries of a designated state archaeological landmark or landmark zone,
except in the course of activities pursued under the authority of a permit or under procedures relating to accredited institutions granted by the division,
commits a felony of the third degree.
i.) Any vehicle or equipment of any person used in connection with
the violation is subject to forfeiture to the state if it is determined by any court of law that the vehicle or equipment was involved in the violation
(punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s.
775.084).
ii.) Such person shall forfeit to the state all specimens, objects, and materials collected or excavated, together with all photographs and records relating to such material.
iii.) The court may also order the defendant to make restitution to the state for the archaeological or commercial value and cost of restoration and repair as defined in subsection
(4).
(c) Any person who offers for sale or exchange any object with knowledge that it has previously been collected or excavated in violation of any of the terms of ss. 267.11-267.14,
or who procures, counsels, solicits, or employs any other person to violate any prohibition contained in ss. 267.11-267.14 or to sell, purchase, exchange, transport, receive,
or offer to sell, purchase, or exchange any archaeological resource excavated or removed from any land owned or controlled by the state or within the boundaries of a designated
state archaeological landmark or landmark zone, except with the express consent of the division, commits a felony of the third degree.
i.) Any vehicle or equipment of any person used in connection with
the violation is subject to forfeiture to the state if it is determined by any court of law that such vehicle or equipment was involved in the violation
(punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s.
775.084).
ii.) All specimens, objects, and material collected or excavated, together with all photographs and records relating to such material, shall be forfeited to the state.
iii.) The court may also order the defendant to make restitution to the state for the archaeological or commercial value and cost of restoration and repair as defined in subsection
(4).
__________________________________________________ __________
FLORIDA STATE PARK METAL DETECTING POLICY

The Division does allow metal detecting in certain cases. There are only three instances when metal detectors can be used in state parks. The park staff should ascertain the purpose
of the use to determine the appropriateness of the activity and the procedures to be used.

I.) Use of a Metal Detector to find a lost personal item Operations Manual (OM) Chapter 4 - General Administration (Revised 10/18/06)

Metal detectors may be used to recover personal items that are specifically identified by their owner as being lost in a specific area of a park.
The owner of lost property or his representative should contact the park manager who will arrange a time for the search to be conducted in the presence of a park staff member.
During these searches, only the item sought may be kept by the owner or his representative.

2.) Use of a Metal Detector for Recreational Purposes Operations Manual
(OM) Chapter 11 - Cultural Resource Management (Revised 6/13/05)

Use of metal detectors, magnetometers or other metal detecting devices is prohibited on all state park lands, including sovereign submerged lands under lease by state parks,
except for the following:

Coastal parks, in a zone between the waterline and toe of the dune, as determined by the Park Manager, except at archaeological sites within the zone designated by DHR or the Park Manager.

Any dug hole associated with the use of a metal detector must be refilled to the contour of pre-dig conditions using the excavated material.

This exception is for coastal parks, in a zone between the mean high water line (usually the upper limit of the wet sand area) and toe of the dune, as determined by the Park Manager,
except at archaeological sites within the zone designated by DHR or the Park Manager. This was done to allow this recreational activity in an area that the Division felt was
appropriate and safe. The zone between the waterline and toe of the dune is sand which is routinely dug by children and others building sand castles and other beach activities;
the zone is also very dynamic and recovers quickly.

If the Park Manager at a coastal park wants to further restrict the use of metal detectors and prohibit their use in the zone between the waterline and toe of the dune,
he/she can do that under authority provided in 62D-2. If the Park Manager intends to do this he/she must post notice to park visitors.

Florida Administrative Code Chapter 62D-2 Operation of Division Recreation Areas and Facilities 62D-2.014 Activities and Recreation (16) Hours.

The Division, in furtherance of the park management practices as stated in Sections 258.004, 258.007, 258.017 and 258.037, Florida Statutes,
may close any park or section thereof to the public at any time and for any interval of time, either temporarily or at regular stated intervals and either entirely or only for certain uses.
Park closures will be used to provide visitor and employee safety, resource protection, operational efficiency, and facility maintenance. No person shall remain in any closed park or
section thereof, unless authorized by the Division or park manager, or their delegate.
Verbal authorization shall be granted by the Division, the park manager, or their delegee, when it is in the best interest of the park, or of the person remaining in the closed area,
for safety, protection, construction, or restoration purposes.

3.) Use of Metal Detectors for Archaeological Research Operations Manual
(OM) Chapter 11 - Cultural Resource Management (Revised 6/13/05)

Use of metal detectors, magnetometers or other metal detecting devices is prohibited on all state park lands, including sovereign submerged lands under lease by state parks,
except for the following:
Archaeological research projects authorized by DHR
Any excavations within designated archaeological sites require permits from DHR. Objects found or recovered under the terms of a permit issued by DHR are property of the State of Florida,
with title vested by statute in DHR.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archies are kind of like buzzards, they wait around for something to turn up then swoop down and want it all for themselves. They seem ill equipped mentally to actually find anything themselves, and I figure they will legislate themselves out of existence because they really don't seem to understand their own parasitic nature, and as they try to eliminate those who can actually locate lost things from the past they will actually put themselves out of business when they destroy their host.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
We are now all criminals subject to a felony charge! Would you like to do something about it, or just continue to be SHEEPLE?

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are different rules/wordings in different places,....depends on where you look and who you ask!! it is actually illegal to disturb the submerged bottom of state lands!!!!! it is legal/allowed to metal detect between the dunes and the high tide line.
do they have treasurehunting police strolling the beaches and checking boats off shore or inland,...? no but the laws and regulations are there for them to use whenever they choose to.
i would take the time to dig out, copy and pste there actual letters and documents but no one cares enough to act!!! my last attempt http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/417857-lets-fight.html got exactly two replies!!!!!

chuck.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes Chuck, there have been many attempts to change the treasure hunting laws. I have posted this before and I will again. First there was the "Conch Coalition" started in 1992. They raised a lot of money but nothing happened. Then there was "Sea Rex" started by Jim Sinclair but nothing happened. Then there was "ProSea" started by Odyssea Marine in Tallahassee. They failed. Finally Taffy Fisher and Jim Sinclair and others had a meeting with Gov. Rick Scott over the changes to the R1-A1 laws. They were successful in allowing two more permits to treasure hunt in Florida waters in the last 20 years!

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad, very sad what has happened……..and what is our recourse? Voting?
Sort of reminds me of when this country was founded and why.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Sad, very sad what has happened……..and what is our recourse? Voting?
Sort of reminds me of when this country was founded and why.

Who out there is going to vote for us? Besides, the laws were never put to a vote. They were just put into law by the Legislation because the State Archaeologists made us sound like looters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread