Huge ship wreck Treasure found

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
'It was by pure chance that members of a diving club in the Roman-era port had come across the coins, which the authority said weighed nine kilograms (almost 20 pounds) but described as "priceless".'

'The find was "so valuable that its priceless," spokeswoman Yoli Schwartz told AFP, adding the haul was now the property of the state, and that there was no finder's fee.'

Beautiful find. Honestly reported. Greedy government.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Let's hope the dive club kept at least one coin framed as a permanent reminder of their honesty.

I applaud this type of treasure hunting but I only hope the government has displayed the coins to the public which would be great and they are not stashed in some parliamentary cabinet members safe deposit box sigh......

Last edited:

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any who said piracy was dead. There should be some finders fee But there want be.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Israel doesn't allow the ordinary person to own a metal detector, they do use volunteers for digs, but there is no doing anything on your own. I checked into the Temple Mt volunteer dig program.....seems there could be a fee for training. Shipwreck exploration definitely would be out of the question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread