"Queen" East Indiaman

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
I have quite a lot of information about this shipwreck, but nothing to indicate any connection to Jean Laffite. Where does Jean Laffite fit in with an Eastindiaman?

OP
OP
T

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have quite a lot of information about this shipwreck, but nothing to indicate any connection to Jean Laffite. Where does Jean Laffite fit in with an Eastindiaman?

There is a lot of fiction about some of this I know. But with what I have is referring to the Queen East India and something from it.

OP
OP
T

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
There seems to be about 5 Queen ships from 1700-1800 from East Indiaman. One was burnt east of Brazil looks like 1800 need more info on what was on that ship.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
There is a lot of fiction about some of this I know. But with what I have is referring to the Queen East India and something from it.

There is a lot of confusion about the "Queen Eastindiaman"

Some say she wrecked at San Salvador Bahamas.
Some say she was a Privateer.
Some say she burned in Bahia, Brazil.
Some say the survivors from the Brazil shipwreck were captured off the coast of India, by the famous French Corsair Surcouf.
Some say that the gold of the "Queen" was dumped into the sea in the harbor of Reunion island.
All this about the one and same ship.

There is a lot of false information out there, but there is also a lot of good, solid information to be found. Like always, it takes some knowledge to separate the good from the bad, the real from the fiction.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
This is a painting, painted by a crew member of the CONFIANCE. It depicts the battle mentioned in your reference, but your reference is copied out of a book about the French Corsair Surcouf, not Laffite.

Attachments

• Kent and Confiance_small.jpg
    Kent and Confiance_small.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 165
OP
OP
T

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
THE PIRATE JEAN LAFITTE WAS REALLY MORTIMER WILSON

There is evidence that Lafitte became a mate in the French East Indiaman just after his twenty-first birthday. The following year he took command of the "La Confiance" with which he captured the "Queen," the best of the English East Indiamen. At one point he was captured and held in prison for several years by the English.

Found this, but like to have the documentation

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
THE PIRATE JEAN LAFITTE WAS REALLY MORTIMER WILSON

There is evidence that Lafitte became a mate in the French East Indiaman just after his twenty-first birthday. The following year he took command of the "La Confiance" with which he captured the "Queen," the best of the English East Indiamen. At one point he was captured and held in prison for several years by the English.

Found this, but like to have the documentation

You need to look for real documents. Google "Robert Surcouf" Robert Surcouf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The QUEEN, Eastindiaman, burned and exploded in Brazil. Surcouf, on the CONFIANCE, captured the KENT that had the survivors of the QUEEN on board, off the coast of India. There are a lot of documents about this available.

OP
OP
T

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking at the Puerto Rican ship that put fire on the Queen in Brazil. The folk lore for jean may have some truth to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread