Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research on Facebook

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just discovered via Tommy Vawter that our very own Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research has a Facebook page.
If you are on Facebook (which is either a great resource or a great time waster -pick one) give it a look and a "Like". I think that the more of US there are, politely asking questions, making comments and steering the conversation towards our own interests, the more the people that we think of as "THEM" might be influenced to view public opinion. They say that 40 or 50 phone calls or emails arriving in a US Congressman's office in DC can change the way they vote...maybe if a couple of hundred metal detecting/treasure hunting Florida citizens give some commentary on their Facegook page, we might get a little consideration for our viewpoint.
Here's the link- please remember that 'confrontational' doesn't work with bureaucrats in general and never on a public forum such as Facebook. Think of it as trying to get to first base with a high school girlfriend... smooth and easy wins the race - I've been told. :thumbsup:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Florida-Bureau-of-Archaeological-Research/585881174802343?sk=timeline

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This a good thing Bill and I will.............

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just discovered via Tommy Vawter that our very own Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research has a Facebook page.
If you are on Facebook (which is either a great resource or a great time waster -pick one) give it a look and a "Like". I think that the more of US there are, politely asking questions, making comments and steering the conversation towards our own interests, the more the people that we think of as "THEM" might be influenced to view public opinion. They say that 40 or 50 phone calls or emails arriving in a US Congressman's office in DC can change the way they vote...maybe if a couple of hundred metal detecting/treasure hunting Florida citizens give some commentary on their Facegook page, we might get a little consideration for our viewpoint.
Here's the link- please remember that 'confrontational' doesn't work with bureaucrats in general and never on a public forum such as Facebook. Think of it as trying to get to first base with a high school girlfriend... smooth and easy wins the race - I've been told. :thumbsup:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Florida-Bureau-of-Archaeological-Research/585881174802343?sk=timeline

Great idea. Communication is always a good thing.

Keep in mind, though, that the official position of the Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research is that it is illegal to dig a hole below the high tide line in the state of Florida at any time for any reason without an appropriate permit. If that sounds ridiculous, well, it is. And yet, that is the Bureau's position.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great idea. Communication is always a good thing.

Keep in mind, though, that the official position of the Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research is that it is illegal to dig a hole below the high tide line in the state of Florida at any time for any reason without an appropriate permit. If that sounds ridiculous, well, it is. And yet, that is the Bureau's position.

If nothing else, we can learn all we can from their page and fall back on this bit of wisdom from Sun Tzu: "Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle."

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If nothing else, we can learn all we can from their page and fall back on this bit of wisdom from Sun Tzu: "Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle."

In regards the legality of treasure hunting, when our rights under natural law have been trampled by state bureaucrats and usurped by Federal Courts which seem more interested in pandering to failed Leftist states than in protecting the rights of US Citizens, we can also remember the immortal words of "Black Sam" Bellamy:

“I am a free Prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world as he who has a hundred ships at sea and an army of 100,000 men in the field." :skullflag:

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you can only detect Florida beaches during that few minute window when the tide is dead high?? The minute the tide turns you have to stop? Just asking because I am hoping to get down there sometime this year.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
So you can only detect Florida beaches during that few minute window when the tide is dead high?? The minute the tide turns you have to stop? Just asking because I am hoping to get down there sometime this year.

Don't worry about it.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Let`s put it this way. If you are detecting on the beach. I have never seen anyone bothered, as long as they do not detect in the water or the dunes. No matter what the tide is.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Let`s put it this way. If you are detecting on the beach. I have never seen anyone bothered, as long as they do not detect in the water or the dunes. Not matter what the tide is.

Yep, just like hunting with a Muzzleloader (Black Powder Rifle)! If you keep your' powder dry (in this case, metal detector coil dry), then you might score a hit without getting in trouble with those who enforce the Laws.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread