UNESCO and the 1715 fleet on treasure coast

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats spains position on treasure recovered from wrecks in florida waters? is there any loophole such as getting them to sign off to allow it? a galleon and warship are in the same classification because they are both owned by the govt of spain and armed,so assuming a recovery permit is granted by florida and im not talking about trailings of treasure...but the actual wreck itself and its Spanish,whats the reality of it being mine if I pull up treasure by a permit legally obtained to recover for profit by the state of florida?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
According to a maritime attorney and someone that helped write the unesco agreement.
Spain has no legal claim to a merchant ship. They only have a valid claim to their military vessels.

So yes, you would probably be able to salvage the unfounded 1715 wrecks.
However, it does not mean that Spain would not try to claim ownership.
It`s called Greed.

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
the old wrecks are safer I suspect,but any new claims may receive more scrutiny,the only loophole I know of having worked is,just befriend ol' Felipe VI ,I hear he is partial to priceless artifacts
and what old man said is true,we all know the griffon was the only warship(French),but find one cannon on any of those merchant ships and spain says yea it was a warship,there goes all your money into a claim

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read an article today in THE TIMES, an online British newspaper, where 40 of Spain's leading politicians and a number of businessmen are on trial for stealing 449 million Euros from the government coffers. So, sounds like Spain may be eat up with scumbags in their government, and that's who you will be dealing with, a bunch of greedy lowlifes out to steal anything not tied down, including the cargo of any ship that flew their flag 500 years ago.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad the incident never happened. The clip is a dramaticized urban legend. The joke has been around a while. Here is another version:

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is Spain still a major world power

Don't you just love it. Spain steals untold millions or maybe billions from the Americas and are still acting like they are a bad a$$ world power and their stolen loot legally belongs to them. Still.
What arrogance. Oh, and let's not forget the untold numbers of people they enslaved and murdered.

Last edited:

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
57chevy , Your one sided view on history is arrogance ! You really need to read up more on American history and what they did with the native Indians and then the Negro population
Spain is not only a friend of the United states and has the same values and principals, but is also a military Allie
USS Ross Arrives in Rota
Spain and the US have the same foe in ISIL
Ossy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread