Dived some cannons near To San Salvador......

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mack, thanks for the heads up. I am hoping to find some more items to indicate age, I found some old medicine bottle shards of glass that my buddy reckons are about 1700 photo below, the pintal dot apparently indicates it's a blown bottle from that age, any ideas??

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426373063.598837.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mack, thanks for the heads up. I am hoping to find some more items to indicate age, I found some old medicine bottle shards of glass that my buddy reckons are about 1700 photo below, the pintal dot apparently indicates it's a blown bottle from that age, any ideas??

View attachment 1131197

Hmmm. Could be Dr. Doolittle' s barnacle bite/motion sickness/tar remover remedy.

morning-breath-dog-framed.jpg

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Once, I recognized an old " Gilbey's Gin Bottle," laying on the bottom of a lake, when diving. I put it in my bag & I brought it back up. I showed it to a few onlookers & gave it to one of them. He popped it open & started drinking it !

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers !
Your finds call for a celebration...

Bot.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ARRC and Capt E if I find anything like that I'll take it all to the cookout and we can open it there ha ha.....I quite fancy a few seawater and cokes ha ha....

Seriously, we are getting off topic here with too much frivolity, my boats now loaded and I am off out in the morning for a couple of days, wish me luck......

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My pal in Haiti said he is eager to talk to you (I told him to join T-Net and PM you)
He is an expert on wrecks (and finding them!) and has done lots of work regarding Columbus, the 1715 fleet and also the "silver shoals / Concepción" reef wreck

good luck!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks BVI

I would love this to be one of the above but knowing my luck some garbage Scow ran aground and dumped two cannons overboard to get off at high tide

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The “Southampton” reef named after the British ship HMS Southampton which sank here in 1812 along with the war prize American Brig “Vixen”.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
The “Southampton” reef named after the British ship HMS Southampton which sank here in 1812 along with the war prize American Brig “Vixen”.
fisheye, Southampton reef looks pretty far from San Salvador Island for pottery to wash up on shore and and cannons to be sunk in shallow water near shore, but I guess anything is possible.
See map below.
http://itouchmap.com/?c=bf&UF=-1544240&UN=-2198996&DG=RF

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did I miss a post? am confused about the "Southampton / reef" :dontknow:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are probably aware of this, but the present day San Salvador has also been called Watlings Island, Cat Island, Guanihani and might possibly be referred to as Whale Rock. Lots of possibilities to look for in the Old literature !!!

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Leaving now for a day or two, on site, thanks Old man for the heads up and Fisheye for the lead on the Southampton reef on the way to San Salvador, I will have a look there as well.

it's about half way so a good stop off point for lunch both going and coming back so thanks for the info Fisheye!

Sorry JM, I meant I am off to Guanihani ha ha....

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TAKE YOUR PASSPORT IN CASE YOU HIT GOLD AND HAVE TO HIGH-TAIL TO BELIZE OR SIMILAR!:thumbsup:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leaving now for a day or two, on site, thanks Old man for the heads up and Fisheye for the lead on the Southampton reef on the way to San Salvador, I will have a look there as well.

it's about half way so a good stop off point for lunch both going and coming back so thanks for the info Fisheye!

Sorry JM, I meant I am off to Guanihani ha ha....

The Watling's Island reference is the really pertinent one !!! That was the name of San Salvador until 1926 when the name was changed to reflect the belief that Columbus made his first landing in the New World there.

The Island was originally named after the famous pirate, John Watling who apparently used Graham's Harbor at the north end of the Island as his base of operations !!!

Not only that, but many people believe Watling's Island is where Capt. Kidd's Treasure really lies !!! Could San Salvador be Captain Kidd's Treasure Island? - Bahama Pundit

watlings 1.png
watlings 2.png
watlings 3.png

diverdan

Jun 16, 2011
Ellenton, FL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Kevin I'm going to be in the Bahamas next week. Can you take me diving on the cannon so I can take some pictures? I am an ordinance I.D. expert.

-Dan

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Kevin I'm going to be in the Bahamas next week. Can you take me diving on the cannon so I can take some pictures? I am an ordinance I.D. expert.

-Dan

you'll have to go blindfolded.........

0513%20anna%20chouler%20on%20deck.jpg

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

-Dan

Ordnance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions