Is it bad form to post detailed information about possible old wreck locations ???

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up in a plane taking pictures of this oil tanker that was on the beach. I mean on the beach No water between ship and land at low tide. I took a lot of pictures from the air from all directions. FROM ONE DIRECTION YOU SAW WHITE CAPS AND NOTHING WAS CLEAR. FROM THE OTHER DIRECTION I COULD SEE A LOT BETTER. HOPES THIS GIVES YOU SOME IDEAS.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Then there is this: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=904567&d=1385342155
When I retire I plan on moving to Florida, and start diving on these wrecks. That would be fun. Damn the regs, I am digging. A few years back I was down diving in the Southern carib, and because I had dove that site many times in the past, my wife and I decided to head out in a direction away from the dive site. While exploring I found this HUGE old steel anchor, just sitting there on the reef. Had to be from a really big ship, and it was very old and encrusted. Upon returning to the boat I asked the crew if they were aware of it, and they told me no, there has never been a mention of any old anchors in that area. That kinda stuff just gets my blood boiling so bad, I just want to go detect that area and see what else I might find.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then there is this: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=904567&d=1385342155
When I retire I plan on moving to Florida, and start diving on these wrecks. That would be fun. Damn the regs, I am digging. A few years back I was down diving in the Southern carib, and because I had dove that site many times in the past, my wife and I decided to head out in a direction away from the dive site. While exploring I found this HUGE old steel anchor, just sitting there on the reef. Had to be from a really big ship, and it was very old and encrusted. Upon returning to the boat I asked the crew if they were aware of it, and they told me no, there has never been a mention of any old anchors in that area. That kinda stuff just gets my blood boiling so bad, I just want to go detect that area and see what else I might find.

Who Dares, Wins! :thumbsup:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
You are mostly correct. But ... recently a company HAS been successful in getting SALVAGE permits. And now they are working with their OWN dig and identify permit that they wrote witht eh state that allows them to keep 80% of what they find, just like a salvage permit. And it automatically ocnverts into a salvage permit when they give them 3 items. The only company I know in the past 30 years to get the salvage permit. Because youa re correct for the most part. "oh sure they issue "permits" to explore and discover --but then after all is said and done "research wise" --when its time to "seal the deal" and do the recovery that will get you PAID.. so sorry Charlie..no salvage permit will be forth coming... "

The company is working a 1715 fleet ship right now, and I think have FOUND one/ The news just started hitting this past week, and should get better over the summer. Looks good though. And the archeologist from the state of Florida is also thinking it IS a 1715 ship. So could be REAl exciting. :-) Seafarer exploration (trades as SFRX) HAS two salvage permits and one great dig and identify that allows them to keep 80%. SO times are changing.

Look for 1715 ship news this summer. :-) I personally think it is coming. :-D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
did you see what direction the anchor was pointing ? if a ship anchors in shallow waters to ride out a storm and the wind and waves pull on the anchor line ----the ships anchor will be aimed in the direction the ship was at while the wind was blowing .. and once the line "parts" from it that will be the direction the vessel will be "blown" onto the nearest reef at

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look on treasurenet. Theirs a T.V. producer looking for people like you. Really!! Check it out.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read in several threads that individuals have location of unclaimed unnamed wreck sites in Florida. We are currently looking for targets to survey. We have a 80' recovery vessel with 4' diameter mail boxes with all commercial diving equipment. In addition, a survey boat with cesium mags and side scan sonar. We are from Texas and are main problem is creditable information of wrecks. We had an agreement to start surveying an area in April but decided the person and the information was not worth it. Doing the surveying it not expensive but time is short. We are will to put up all equipment and expenses. We are not a salvage company just a group of friend that enjoys the hunt and hopefully a lot of recovery. Any person that brings us information, all terms of agreement will be put in a contract.. Everything will be done above board following all state and federal regulation. Ideally, we would like to be beyond the three mile limit, I'm looking for people with good info and a please be prepared to explain why you think your site is what it is. Please do not try to hard sell me on something you heard about in a bar. I'm tired of digging up old stove and trash. We will be at the picnic on the 18th in Wabasso and hope to meet some of you with some promising opportunities. From there we will start surveying and hope to be diving first of May. Email me with info [email protected] and add a phone number. I prefer to talk on the phone. Thanks

Back in 2008 I'd looked at some possible wreck sites in GE, S or SE of Key West (a Spanish fleet got caught in a hurricane). There has been a lot of treasure hunters on the water since then, you don't know for sure what hasn't been found. In recent GE images can't seem to find anything, even though looking for where it showed up in the past. These are the old GE maps. Probably better to do like others have suggested, get in with a big company.

Attachments

• Key_West_site-A1.jpg
    Key_West_site-A1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Key_West_site-A1close.jpg
    Key_West_site-A1close.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Key_West_site-A1closeX.jpg
    Key_West_site-A1closeX.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Key_West_site-A1plmrk.jpg
    Key_West_site-A1plmrk.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Key_West_site-A1plmrkX.jpg
    Key_West_site-A1plmrkX.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 94

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks as if there are numbers, don't see how that could be possible in GE (even though enlarged and cropped them a lot). Always thought it must be where somebody had been working a part of the shipwreck site.

Attachments

• Key_West_site-A1sml.jpg
    Key_West_site-A1sml.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But after seeing what looked like "8s in a row" on the thread to help Aquanut, with improving the underwater pics for a wreck site that seemed to have silver bars (might be a type of ship). I've put the enlarged 8s pattern with the Key West GE map showing 8s to see how they compare.

Attachments

• oldman1C2compare.png
    oldman1C2compare.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions