Is it bad form to post detailed information about possible old wreck locations ???

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think it is bad form to post detailed information about possible very old shipwreck locations on the open forum? It seems to me this sort of information is what the forum is all about, but I can see how it might irritate some people. I guess most would consider the information great...unless the possible shipwreck was right in their own back yard and they had a hankering to go after the wreck themselves. Opinions, please.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post away, it is what the forum is about...

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Post away !!!

Unless the wreck is something I might be interested in.

If so, PM me the information and swear a blood oath to never reveal the information to another soul. :laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it is worth...
I know the locations of 3 separate wreck sites...
All of which are "unknown".

I will not diverge any information as to the locations..
I will only tell you they are in Florida water.
I located one of them in 1985 at the age of 16... by chance / accident.
It remains buried under about 6-8 feet of sand with no visible signs of wreck...
And is only exposed for a short period of time after SOME storms...

The/my problem is...
The state of Florida does not allow "digging" or disturbance of bottom sediment...
Which thwarts any hopes of "discovery" of ANY wreck.

I also know of 2 other possible wreck sites... also unknown.

Also... I have at least 6 "anomalies" that need further investigation.

my entire life I have been in a "holding" pattern.

I hope that at some point before I either get too old... or die...
that I will see what lies in at least my big one.

I have hoped to find the right person to pull the proper strings to get the "go ahead" to dig/uncover/explore...with the permits needed...
but this has never happened...

One thing I have learned from VERY successful treasure salvers/hunters...
Who I might add... got me into this to begin with... 35 years ago (46 now)...

There are a million "treasure hunters"... but only a handful of them have "treasure notches" on their belts...
And an even less amount... have treasure within their grasp.

The old dudes called finding things "the knack"... which is what they would say in my early teens I have...

You either have it... or you don't...
You either find it... or you wont.

So far "my knack" has netted me only "locations of who the hell knows" and no notches in my dive belt.

But maybe one day.
Until then... ?

And if that day never comes...
Then I will take my locations and knowledge to my grave.

But that is me... to each their own I say.

P.S> JollyMon... this is your personal choice.
I love the reads and info... but would never "steal" it... Unfortunately I cannot feel that this will not happen to your info here.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I freely tell of several sites that I know of ...that are in within the state of Florida's "east coast " limits ... which because of the state of Florida's policies will most likely never ever get salvaged --simply because the state will not issue "salvage permits" ... oh sure they issue "permits" to explore and discover --but then after all is said and done "research wise" --when its time to "seal the deal" and do the recovery that will get you PAID.. so sorry Charlie..no salvage permit will be forth coming...

so to prove to others that my wreck research finding skills are legit , I show them these "unhuntible" wrecks -- since they are useless (no permits = no treasure recovery) but it still shows off the fact that --I can find treasure shipwrecks thru my research --

oh and I have info on other treasure wrecks that are outside of the state of Florida's grasp as well --however that info will cost ya -- :headbang:

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well ARRC - I think you just might get some PM's after those posts. I believe there are a lot of divers like you, but PC circumstances prevent people from saying what they really want to say. Wish I lived down there!!! Good Luck to you!

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not trying to be coy or "cloak and dagger" in this post. I like to share information on this forum in an effort to be helpful, yet though I am a happy amateur, there are things I would never divulge on the open forum because they are targets that interest me.

I may be blowing this all out of proportion, but I just ran into an incredibly detailed old chart from the early 1800's with the positions of at least 17 wrecks charted, the latest being from 1812. I had seen this chart referenced, but I had never seen it "in the flesh" and did not realize it was available online. It is a most remarkable thing if the wreck positions are anything near accurate. As I said, others undoubtedly know of this chart, but I don't think it is commonly available. The main reason I wanted to post the information is to show what a little "poking around" on the internet can uncover.

Sometimes on a chart wrecks or supposed wrecks are just clumped together in an area where they are rumored to have been lost. I do not think this is the case here. Here is a small portion of the chart, with certain information deleted to protect the innocent...

remarkable wreck chart.png

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
Assuming the chart is accurate that is an amazing find! Well done!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is it bad form to post detailed information about possible old wreck location...

The treasure for me is in the search......so if there is anyone like me near that old map you just made their day,

I am proud of you JM. I will do the same here when I find something......

Last edited:

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just to bad we all can't work together here. So you have some possibility's. So do I and I'm sure others as well. I would think that some smart guy who already has a skiff set up to do this would jump on this or at least talk to you. They could even take it step by step. It could be worth their time to check or not check. Really!!! What does it cost someone who has this set up already that's in your area. Time and fuel in the treasure zone. At least they would be checking wrecks and learning sites and clues about the area their working in. They mostly searching areas anyway. You could have a easy winner if you know it's at least a ship. Everyone just needs to be fair. Just remember that something is better than nothing if the chance comes up. Even a million dollars is a lot of money. I can feel your stress and hope things work out for you. Look at what happen when someone open up a little.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would really be surprised at how right on a Boat Captain can be without electronic's. Anyone working on water better or should be good at it. In the 70's we would just run time, direction, feet of water, and speed to a spot. So the information can be right on back then or dam close depending on how much info was received and by whom. As you know. I've said this before. I have a book that's out of print. It tells of a marker at the spot of the Pirate ship whidia site before it was found. Then the ship was found. Man hook me up with something like that. It was right off the marker. Like a 1/8 of a mile offshore. Hope things work out for you and your map.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have found a ship also, but same problem because it is in Florida waters.

Attachments

• CNS-Beach1.jpg
    CNS-Beach1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 141
  • CNS-Beach1A.jpg
    CNS-Beach1A.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 115
  • CNS-Beach1B.jpg
    CNS-Beach1B.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 128
  • CNS-Beach1A2.jpg
    CNS-Beach1A2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
google, map near shore "shadowing" from overhead in white sand areas reveals some interesting sights

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just north of Klondike beach, I was trying to see if it is in the Canaveral National Seashore, hard to tell looking in GE, if not it's close enough to the boundary line; trying to say it without being too specific, put it this way, close enough to the CNS they could put a very small NWR or aquatic reserve off the end of Canaveral NS and take in the site without any problem.

Last edited:

TX DIVER

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2008
Houston TX
I have read in several threads that individuals have location of unclaimed unnamed wreck sites in Florida. We are currently looking for targets to survey. We have a 80' recovery vessel with 4' diameter mail boxes with all commercial diving equipment. In addition, a survey boat with cesium mags and side scan sonar. We are from Texas and are main problem is creditable information of wrecks. We had an agreement to start surveying an area in April but decided the person and the information was not worth it. Doing the surveying it not expensive but time is short. We are will to put up all equipment and expenses. We are not a salvage company just a group of friend that enjoys the hunt and hopefully a lot of recovery. Any person that brings us information, all terms of agreement will be put in a contract.. Everything will be done above board following all state and federal regulation. Ideally, we would like to be beyond the three mile limit, I'm looking for people with good info and a please be prepared to explain why you think your site is what it is. Please do not try to hard sell me on something you heard about in a bar. I'm tired of digging up old stove and trash. We will be at the picnic on the 18th in Wabasso and hope to meet some of you with some promising opportunities. From there we will start surveying and hope to be diving first of May. Email me with info [email protected] and add a phone number. I prefer to talk on the phone. Thanks

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Texas diver, talk to John Redman at the cookout. ( Aquanut).
He may have something, but I'm sure you have to size each other up in person, before he discusses anything.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a moderator here for a long time,
all I can say is this is a forum for sharing information.
it would be bad form to tell you not to post.
Trust me, If I had detailed info on Wrecks I would post the details
for all :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread