What percentage of the near shore S.E. Florida coast has been magged?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As you can tell...if anyone knows, no one is going to say much in public. I have wondered the same about the Treasure Coast outside the 3 mile limit, but since sidescan/mag/sub bottom profiler surveys are privately funded no one is inclined to share results. I know mag surveys have been done here, but using someone else's results to categorically eliminate an area is iffy...How competent was the operator? How good was the equipment? Are they saving the good stuff for themselves?
For the most part, I would be even less likely to trust someone else's data. A survey with an "undisclosed purposeful positional offset for security purposes", inaccurate GPS due to the operator not making allowances for the setback of the mag from the GPS antenna or other poor survey practices can make it worth less than nothing. Being off by 50 feet makes it an approximation, not a location.
I would guess that if one were to post "Generous compensation available for mag survey results Jupiter to Key Biscayne", there might be more messages in your inbox, but still no responses here.

Just me 2 cents worth. I'm going to go work on a boat. :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago...
Before the realization that the web was "visible" to everyone who typed in the right search criteria...
There was a plethora of info of this sort that was readily available to anyone who took the time to "dig" hard enough...
I have seen everything from "pile" maps... to ferrous "hits" maps that were part of "collections" that were meant to be seen only by those who had access to a certain site...
Problem was... they did not know what they were doing... so security... or exclusivity was non existent for the pages containing the hard data...
This information has long since been removed or secured...
Ever search Corps of Eng charts ? heh...
Days and days worth of information.
Seems like for awile in the late 60's early into the seventies... Every few years they were making "maps" of ferrous hits.
This info I saw... is nowhere to be found online nowadyas... and has not been for years now.
Corp of Eng... has EXTENSIVE collection... Of what I felt was ... ENTIRE coastline of Florida.
Like they wanted to know "where" ANYTHING may be.

P.S. > I am talking Win 95 era.
P.S.S.> Lucky I did not totally fry my memory in my youth :P

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
arrrrgh, ARRC...speaking of web resources, you have interrupted my lunch plans with that idea, so here are a couple of things for us to ponder:

The Treasure Beaches Report brought to you from Florida's Treasure Coast.: 12/7/13 Report - TC Magnetometer Survey, LiDAR, Marine Growth, and Latest Cold Front
and this also dicusses Aquasurvey: Aqua Survey | News

IEEE Xplore Abstract - Magnetic field surveys of coastal waters using an AUV-towed magnetometer

I found some links to Florida Dept of Environment password protected sites that indicate that the State of Florida may have some interesting data, but it might be hard to extract from those friendly people.
http://dos.myflorida.com/media/31390/remote_surveys.pdf
and maybe here: Search Results: All Records

back to work

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread