Tommy Thompson saga continues

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odyssey has not, and cannot publish any books on the SS Central America. Those rights belong to Dwight Manly.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A lesson in goldlust I guess. For Tommy, in the beginning, it was about the hunt. Now it's about greed. He'd rather rot in jail than give it up.

Meanwhile, not sure any of his decisions are out of a "thought" process or any real "intention." Seems he may have simply gone off the deep end. Sad if so.

Either way, it's a cautionary tale for sure.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COLUMBUS, Ohio — A federal judge has ordered a former deep-sea treasure hunter to answer questions about the location of 500 missing gold coins.

Tommy Thompson has been held in contempt of court since last December, when Judge Algenon Marbley in Columbus found he violated a plea deal by refusing to respond.

Marbley on Monday told Thompson to answer questions about the coins within 30 days.

Thompson has said that he told everything he knew during depositions last year. Todd Long, an attorney for Thompson, told Marbley on Monday that nothing has changed from Thompson's perspective.

The coins were minted from gold taken from the S.S. Central America, which sank in an 1857 hurricane.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A judge hopes the holiday spirit will prompt former treasure hunter Tommy Thompson to reveal where he’s hidden any of the SS Central America gold from investors.

“I hope that in this season of giving, Mr. Thompson will find it within himself to give” the location, U.S. District Judge Algenon L. Marbley said Monday.

If not, Santa might have to check with the federal Bureau of Prisons next Christmas for Thompson’s address.

On Monday, Marbley ordered one last round of depositions during which Thompson can reveal where he hid as much as $4 million in gold coins, along with millions of dollars in other treasure, brought up in the 1980s from the site of the 1875 shipwreck."

Judge hopes treasure hunter Tommy Thompson remembers where he hid the loot | The Columbus Dispatch

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Can't trust the news on anything. It was 1857. Not 1875. No one fact checks or even proofreads anymore for major publications.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't trust the news on anything. It was 1857. Not 1875. No one fact checks or even proofreads anymore for major publications.

I did a depth correction earlier when a post said 15,000 feet of depth...
When in fact it lays in less than half of that... 7,200 ish feet.

Like the old "the fish I caught was this big" scenario... the tales get taller and taller... OH wait !...

Hmmm YOU Grossmusic are in fact "teller of tall tales" by your avatar <---- :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The SS Gairsoppa is in 15,000 feet depth.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep - and news agencies proclaim to be purveyors of facts. At least I tell the truth about lying! :)
Most of the post-election upset on the left is a result of liars in truthteller clothing.

Of course I could have simply, quietly pointed out the typo. Instead I started something. Whoops.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
along with millions of dollars in other treasure, brought up in the 1980s from the site of the 1875 shipwreck."

Even Evans, who was the conservator on the original recovery with Thompson, (and the latest) filed a statement that there was nothing unaccounted for. On the most recent recovery, gold bars were found stacked in lifting baskets, hardly an attempt to make off with anything.
(the Columbus Dispatch owners were investors in the first round, and funded the latest recovery)

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Even Evans, who was the conservator on the original recovery with Thompson, (and the latest) filed a statement that there was nothing unaccounted for. On the most recent recovery, gold bars were found stacked in lifting baskets, hardly an attempt to make off with anything.
(the Columbus Dispatch owners were investors in the first round, and funded the latest recovery)

Evans said that all was accounted for? Last I heard from Evans was that he was very disappointed in Thompson (recorded about 6 months before Thompson's capture), which sounds like he believes Thompson absconded with the loot.

Meanwhile, it's true the Columbus Dispatch & other OH papers have a dog in the fight, so they won't be saying anything nice about Thompson until they get paid mega bucks.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evans said that all was accounted for?

BOB EVANS ON THE DISPOSITION OF THE S.S. CENTRAL AMERICA TREASURE April 21, 2013 Prior to the latest recovery.

For those of you who may not know, it was my responsibility, a great personal honor, and a truly wonderful experience to be the caretaker of this treasure during the recovery and post-recovery phases of its journey from the seafloor to market and display.

The point here is that treasure is not missing. The inventory has been published. There is no other gold that has been recovered. Perhaps the math is not simple, but it is not beyond the talents of the most elementary minds, or at least the reasonably educated.

The gold, as recovered, reported to the U.S. District Court, and examined by the insurance claimants’ court-appointed expert Fred Holabird during the 1990s, was fully adjudicated and accepted prior to the in-kind division, which occurred on June 16, 1998. When the treasure came to market in 2000 the breakdown of holdings of the insurance claimants and Columbus-America was released. No secrets! That’s it folks! My advice is, accept it. There is no “missing” treasure.

.....A great deal of treasure remains on the shipwreck site.

There were 500 restrikes made from gold recovered from the wreck, that is what is missing. One has to keep in mind that the total amount invested by all of the original investors was $12 million. Look at what was designed, built, and constructed, then the recovery.

The adventure cost far more than the $12 million, and those entities that fronted the money were paid off with the $50 million it was sold to CGMG.

Last edited:

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does not really matter what Evans thinks of him, he filed a statement with the Court that there was no treasure missing or unaccounted for.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
and what I believe is the latest chapter can be found here...The plot thickens...
"Shipwreck ruling may mean payday for former Columbus newspaper owner

• Jack Torry Washington Bureau

5:29 p.m Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2017 Crime

The U.S. Supreme Court may have cleared the way for the company that previously published The (Columbus) Dispatch to collect $224,850 from its investment in salvaging treasure from a gold-laden ship that sunk off the coast of South Carolina in 1857.

In the latest turn in a long legal battle, the Supreme Court without comment Tuesday upheld a ruling by a lower court that levied legal sanctions against an attorney for failing to turn over a complete inventory of what was recovered from the sunken ship.

The Dispatch Printing Co. had invested $1 million to help finance salvage operations of the ship, which was filled with gold when it sank in a storm in 1857 off the South Carolina coast, killing 471 crew members and passengers.

A federal judge in 2014 ruled that Richard Robol, the attorney for the company that recovered and was awarded most of the loot, had not turned over a full accounting of all the recovered treasure. The judge ordered him to pay the $224,850 in sanctions to the Dispatch.

A federal appeals court in Cincinnati upheld the ruling last year and the justices Tuesday declined to hear an appeal by Robol.

The man who led the salvage operation, Tommy Thompson, has been in jail since December 2015 for refusing to reveal the location of 500 gold coins to investors who had put up at least $12.7 million for his efforts."

Supreme Court rules in case involving sunken treasure from 1857.

sandman03

Apr 14, 2013
treasurecoast fl
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the rest of the ship is north ,where i found the ballast stone i showed you capt Dom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread