Thought session - Indian - treasure

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in a cubicle at work but now I have gotten lost in my own thought therefore decided to have the first official "thought session" haha

In many manuscripts, letters, journal entries, etc of the 1700's - the Indian's (Tequesta, Ais, etc) were known for looting sunken ships and stealing treasure. In the account by the Spaniard (forgot the name) who traveled from St. Augustine to Vero and documented the Indian villages along the way - I recall him talking about the main Ais village and saying it had vast amounts of treasure stockpiled.

Why has no treasure been found from these Indian's? If they had so much, where did it go? Thoughts?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I am in a cubicle at work but now I have gotten lost in my own thought therefore decided to have the first official "thought session" haha

In many manuscripts, letters, journal entries, etc of the 1700's - the Indian's (Tequesta, Ais, etc) were known for looting sunken ships and stealing treasure. In the account by the Spaniard (forgot the name) who traveled from St. Augustine to Vero and documented the Indian villages along the way - I recall him talking about the main Ais village and saying it had vast amounts of treasure stockpiled.

Why has no treasure been found from these Indian's? If they had so much, where did it go? Thoughts?
Unesco told the indians that the treasure belonged to Spain and they were not allowed to salvage Spain's shipwrecks?

Sandman23

Dec 18, 2012
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SS II. looking to upgrade soon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you hear of these Indian mounds and how there has been treasures found in them, I would think there is a lot more then we have found ( we think it is just a hill ) so there for the treasure sits. and then you have those people who don't want to dig up anything and pass laws to no one gets to understand how people lived back then.

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They pass these laws because they are "official" and we are not and they get first dibs because they are "official". When you are the government, you get to do things that only the government can do - such as dig in places you ban everyone else from digging.

I wonder how many mounds and such got destroyed back in the day when no one cared.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great article Teklord. Everyone should read it and read the comments after the article. The FWC and state archies have turned into Gestapo. While the state has destroyed the 14' tall Indian mound on Hog Island on the Suwannee River with impunity, they will not share any of the 20,000 + artifacts they found with the locals. Now the locals encourage treasure hunters to dig for whatever they can find. This needs to stop!

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Great article Teklord. Everyone should read it and read the comments after the article. The FWC and state archies have turned into Gestapo. While the state has destroyed the 14' tall Indian mound on Hog Island on the Suwannee River with impunity, they will not share any of the 20,000 + artifacts they found with the locals. Now the locals encourage treasure hunters to dig for whatever they can find. This needs to stop!
Pete, these guys are out of control.
They're also wimps. Having a swat team serve a search warrant. If they are that scared? They should Find a new line of work. Like working in a nursing home, where all the people are old and passive.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pete, these guys are out of control.
They're also wimps. Having a swat team serve a search warrant. If they are that scared? They should Find a new line of work. Like working in a nursing home, where all the people are old and passive.

You're right Ed, these guys like Jim Miller and Jim Dunbar have too much power. Pulling guns on people that collect sea shells is next! I'm surprised nobody has been shot.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The revolution will change all that. We the people, We the people, We the people,
How can laws be made with out involving We the people.... I must leave this thread.

I have to take my dog out in my own yard to pee and poop, I do keep any eye out just in case that has become illegal too, soon I'm sure.

That's my thoughts on this one.

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say but do not trust anybody.

and also; if they have sisters or wives - I hope the guys arrested get to sleep with them afterwards. Nothing says, "F you" like being able to say, "You searched my house but I f**ked your sister"

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some native ornaments on display at the natural history museum in Gainesville that were fashioned out of Spanish coins. I've been told stories of people finding coins that were flattened out thin into little sheets and rolled into ornaments at some sites as well. There may be some caches here and there, but it might have all been made into decorations, or traded off through the years, and just scattered...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread