Dry Tortugas Shipwreck hunt is on

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Dry Tortuga's Shipwreck hunt is on

Published in the Tampa Bay Times 1/10/2016 in part states:

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 8.04.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 8.04.30 AM.png

Tortuga 1.png

Tortuga 2.png

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would much rather spend my time in an area "near" there instead...
To find what VERY FEW even know existed back then.

I would be more interested in the "highway" that long ago "moved"...
due to the loss of the certain islands that were a much more favored area than there.
They are all long now submerged and long forgotten.

LONG before Tortuga became active OR a spot.

But hey... good luck anyway combing an area that has been heavily combed for at least the last 100 years. :)

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
You may have a good idea there AARC. What about the ships that didn't quite make to the Tortugas.
Last time I was down there we got caught in a storm that caused several thousand dollars of damage to the boat. Lucky we didn't sink, but how many did just trying to get to the highway.

As for the Govt./Archies, just more ways for them to gather the booty. Put it off limits to the the rest of the world while they gather up the treasure(s).
Yeah I'm sure when one of their divers comes across an open chest, filled with gold/silver/jewels they'll just leave it there.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the winds changed direction, from what I've studied.....ships were pulled along to the Dry Tortugas from the Gulf of Mexico, there should have been a gap of different and various distances, as this was not an organized flotilla formation at this point. It's not only logical but highly probable that not all the ships made it to the Tortugas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread