tonight History Sneak peek ‘Billion Dollar Wreck’ Tuesday, February 2 10PM eastern

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the largest and most luxurious ocean liners of its time, Republic sunk shortly after its departure from New York Harbor in the early hours of January 24, 1909. Considered unsinkable, the White Star ship collided with another vessel and now sits at the bottom of the Atlantic. Life-long treasure hunter Martin Bayerle has spent the past 35 years researching Republic and her reputed cargo of 150,000 American Eagle gold coins, a bounty worth billions today. Bayerle’s exhaustive investigation has turned up evidence that points to a deep-rooted cover-up which may involve some of the era’s biggest historical figures, from the Tsar of Russia to Theodore Roosevelt.

then:
History Premieres
the new eight-part series ‘Billion Dollar Wreck’ Monday, February 8

History Premieres 'Billion Dollar Wreck' Monday, February 8 - RedCarpetCrash.com

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone catch the next episode on the 8th? I set my DVR, but what it recorded was exactly the same show as aired on the 2nd. Did my DVR record the wrong one, or was it just a repeat?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone catch the next episode on the 8th? I set my DVR, but what it recorded was exactly the same show as aired on the 2nd. Did my DVR record the wrong one, or was it just a repeat?

Repeat. Only fresh shows on Mondays.

Yep the Sneak Peek we watched was Apparently the whole first show.
Just listed as New both times by The TV morons.

I watched til the old Lady came into the Garage again whining and Carrying on
that he's spending time with his dad and wasting time.
(I think they left her in, to show what type of person she is :laughing7:)
but then I knew it was the same show.

after that, I deleted till next monday's show.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show looked good. They are on the wreck already.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show looked good. They are on the wreck already.

Yes I really Like that there is no announcer talking like we are all Blind.
I hope it continues that way.

I don't want to hear about a curse, they invented to explain
why it will take 50 seasons :BangHead:

Last edited:

marconi beach

Jun 28, 2015
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
During Marty's first salvage attempt in the 1980's I was the director of the Marine Museum in Fall River, Mass dedicated to steamships including White Star Line. He donated the 2 main anchors to us and they are still sitting in front of the place now, just down the street from Battleship Cove where USS Massachusetts resides. While I was there we also were given the 28 foot long model of Titanic used in the first movie. After we acquired that model Woods Hole sent a couple of their deep search personnel to see me and photograph the model. A few months later they found the wreck and I asked one of them, Tom Dettweiler why they wanted to take shots looking down on the model and he told me there are no known photographs looking down and that is how the camera sled used in the search would of course see the mighty vessel.Tom and I became good buddies and still work together on occasion, he also found I-52 and the Israeli sub Dakar.

Eastcoastwrecks

Greenie
Sep 16, 2011
I'd like to know what happened to the diver they had to yank up and why he was not able to switch to his bailout. Seems like either somebody screwed up, panicked, or there was a major equipment malfunction. Maybe all three? They did say that was his first mixed gas dive. That would seem very foolish if it were true.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to know what happened to the diver they had to yank up and why he was not able to switch to his bailout. Seems like either somebody screwed up, panicked, or there was a major equipment malfunction. Maybe all three? They did say that was his first mixed gas dive. That would seem very foolish if it were true.

Yeah, a lot of things that dont make sense.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first thing I remember was them Switching him Back to Oxygen,
But they were curious why his Voice didn't Change back.

Then all hell broke loose.

I'm Not sure if the switch never happened, Or he just lost it
hyperventilating & thinking he had no air.
or they forgot to switch the oxygen on.

he had no Problem clearly yelling I can't Breath, at least twice.
which suggested to me he Could breath.
so either he was Wrong or it was a reenactment or both.

I'm no Dive person though. so what I say is Purely My take.

GreenHiker

Jul 8, 2010
GA, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ20, Garrett
I agree with Jason.

Several things don't make sense. You send a rookie deep diver down when you've got a $60,000/day overhead burn rate?

Looked to me like he unplugged from helium bottom mix and didn't show him plug back in. But the top side crew were opening and closing valves, so he shouldn't have to unplug?
He only had the helium mix air left in his helmet, panicked and did a free accent up? Hard to piece it all together. Seems reckless.

He was breathing very hard during the entire dive and then took a heavy basket of plates with him? A commercial diver could fill us in on the details, but to me it looked like a clusterdance.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Maybe just a "staged" incident to garner the audience. Kinda like the old nickle and dime shorts at the movie theater, where they have the last minute thing that leaves you hanging. Until next week's episode. Will Lassie push Timmy into the well? Check back in next week to find out. Same Bat time, same Bat Channel.

Eastcoastwrecks

Greenie
Sep 16, 2011
Maybe he accidentally switched to his bail out, which probably would be bottom gas (helium). That bail out wouldn't last long. This would explain the diver being on helium and also the lack of control from topside. It sounds like a probable explanation to me since the diver lacked experience

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fell asleep during the last episode.

fishnnut

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting show but I wish they would quit flashing back to the guys past personal life and get on with the salvage effort....

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting show but I wish they would quit flashing back to the guys past personal life and get on with the salvage effort....

yes. being they only air about 2 sentences right before each commercial,
it's obvious they are trying to make a 5 minute story about an error in judgement he made,
a long time ago.
take all season to tell :(

I hate Soap Operas.

then again I guess it beats Ending each part on a Cliff hanger &
after the commercial starting each part Repeating it

Last edited:

cckrobinson

Greenie
Jan 15, 2016
Minneapolis Mn
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually found the last episode to be somewhat entertaining. This seems like an impossible task based on how they are going at about it. Each dive is limited to 40 minutes in the water and it appears to take them 30+ minutes to get to the target site even though they supposedly dropped a line directly over the hold. Presumably they will need to use a cutting torch at some point to make a hole in the hull large enough for a diver. I know next to nothing about deep sea recovery, but it seems like renting an ROV with a cutting torch would make a lot more sense. Right now they get maybe 2-3 dives per day and they do a total of 30 minutes of useful work. Drop an ROV down for 24 hours and get something accomplished. It sounded like they used ROVs during the recovery attempt in the 1980's. I get the feeling this is a low budget operation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread