I know its a dinosaur, but does anyone have experience with a Geometrics g-866 mag?

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's a dinosaur, but does anyone have experience with a Geometrics g-866 mag?

I realize keeping the chart recorder operational will be problematical, but I am wondering about general thoughts for use as a "beep and dig" type of unit (if you take my meaning). I figure I can use buoys and log basic positions into my chartplotter. Primitive, I know...but it beats sleeping in the doghouse after dropping the bucks for a modern unit. Thanks in advance for any input.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If it was a cesium mag, I would have no problem, but since it's a proton mag...meh. Proton mags are known for false signals, so I would be concerned about putting a buoy at every signal and wasting time. Of course, I've never used a Geometrics proton mag, so I'm not sure of the quality. If it's anything like the quality level of their cesium G-882 - which I have rented numerous times - then at least you may have a better shot at it.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know it's a dinosaur, but does anyone have experience with a Geometrics g-8...

Jolly man, are you keeping the unit? My very clever nephew reckons he might be able to help you with a computer recorder to use with it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was a cesium mag, I would have no problem, but since it's a proton mag...meh. Proton mags are known for false signals, so I would be concerned about putting a buoy at every signal and wasting time. Of course, I've never used a Geometrics proton mag, so I'm not sure of the quality. If it's anything like the quality level of their cesium G-882 - which I have rented numerous times - then at least you may have a better shot at it.

Jolly man, are you keeping the unit? My very clever nephew reckons he might be able to help you with a computer recorder to use with it?

Thanks for the input, Darren.

I have not bought the thing yet, SADS, and based on Darren's recommendation, I may not.

I actually had the chance to try a much newer proton mag a few months ago with decidedly mixed results.

At the time, I was not sure if the false readings I was getting were caused by the idiot operator (me) or were due to some fault in the magnetometer.

I did not realize, as Darren says, that proton mags are known for giving false readings...

Perhaps my problems were caused by a combination of personal idiocy, faulty equipment, and the inherent instability of proton magnetometers themselves !!!

Now, were I retired and plying the largely benign, crystalline waters of the Bahamas, I would not care so much about those false signals...I would just dive them and enjoy it...

It comes to mind that at some point in the past, you were interested in acquiring a mag. The one I was considering is on Ebay for $950.00 or best offer and comes with a 90% complete spare extra console. The working console looks fairly pristine and the seller says it has only been used as some sort of display item. Who knows...it is Ebay after all...in any event the seller seems quite motivated to sell for less than $950.00...perhaps substantially less. The main problem is that the unit does not come with a tow fish. It does include two sensors, though, and I believe it would be a fairly simple matter to construct a tow fish using one of the included sensors. If you are up for a project, you might want to take a look...(the very clever nephew might come in handy).

That Nazi sub of yours is calling...:thumbsup:

EG G Proton Marine Land Base Station Magnetometer G866 Including 2 Sensors | eBay

ftp://geom.geometrics.com/pub/mag/Manuals/866manual.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You going to the cookout?

The discussion went something like this:

Jolly Mon: "Honey, if you don't mind, I'd like to drive down to Vero Beach the weekend of the 30th. That's the date of the 8th Annual Treasure Hunter's Cookout. It is a unique opportunity to meet and exchange ideas with some of the most experienced and knowledgeable professionals in the disciplines of shipwreck research and maritime salvage".

Ms. Jolly Mon: "What !! On top of everything else you get away with, you want to take an 800 mile round trip, blow hundreds of dollars on booze and hotels, just to sit around and get sh!t-faced with a bunch of crusty old pirates" ?

Jolly Mon sighs with resignation

Last edited:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Jolly Mon: "Honey, if you don't mind, I'd like to drive down to Vero Beach the weekend of the 30th. That's the date of the 8th Annual Treasure Hunter's Cookout. It is a unique opportunity to meet and exchange ideas with some of the most experienced and knowledgeable professionals in the disciplines of shipwreck research and maritime salvage".

Ms. Jolly Mon: "What !! On top of everything else you get away with, you want to take an 800 mile round trip, blow hundreds of dollars on booze and hotels, just to sit around and get sh!t-faced with a bunch of crusty old pirates" ?

"Yes".....

ag

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Applies to treasure hunting, too...

wheelie.jpg

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know it's a dinosaur, but does anyone have experience with a Geometrics g-8...

See you on the 30th then........

You might be lucky and she says....Wow, honey you go ahead, it's fine do whatever you want it's nothing really, we can afford it and that's Ok......

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461094225.402813.jpg

Last edited:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
See you on the 30th then........

You might be lucky and she says....Wow, honey you go ahead, it's fine do whatever you want it's nothing really, we can afford it and that's Ok......

View attachment 1301786
Sads669, I hope he can make it. My wife was an ace. She even bought the airline tickets for the cookout, so you never know.

Attachments

• uglywoman.jpg
    uglywoman.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 226

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fingers crossed that Mrs J is a trooper and is only joking, maybe we should send him a ticket, I'll sleep on the floor in my room, Ag can buy all his booze ( he's the only one with a job) so it doesn't cost him a cent, then he can really give it to her.....just a thought?

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fingers crossed that Mrs J is a trooper and is only joking, maybe we should send him a ticket, I'll sleep on the floor in my room, Ag can buy all his booze ( he's the only one with a job) so it doesn't cost him a cent, then he can really give it to her.....just a thought?

:icon_scratch:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Huh.
Sounds to me like it won't make her much madder if you go than if you stay, so I'd be getting the oil changed in the car and maybe making sure my half of the savings account is in the trunk.
but that's just me.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

You could always stay home and golf with your wife, but it would be nice to see you at the cookout, if not.....well, enjoy the golf.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461149999.817436.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always stay home and golf with your wife, but it would be nice to see you at the cookout, if not.....well, enjoy the golf.

View attachment 1302055

The lass appears to have a nice back-swing. A girl drinking at the tee is always a good sign for a potential hole-in one at the 19th...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread