The HMS Grosvenor Shipwreck of 1782

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just stumbled upon this shipwreck story and WOW, amazing! After just starting a thread about the Verelst Shipwreck, a member directed me to another website that catalogs many shipwrecks and their locations. Among searching these I found the Grosvenor wreck. Now I am curious- has the ship's true resting place ever been located?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes the exact location has been found. There have also been several unsuccessful salvage attempts.

OP
OP
O

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the exact location has been found. There have also been several unsuccessful salvage attempts.

Good to know. So nothing has been recovered.. Wonder why? Also do you know anywhere to obtain the exact wreck location? I did find these coordinates on wrecksite.eu, but I am unsure if they are correct: 31°22.424'S 29°54.882'E.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I read a story about one of the salvage attempts. It said there are huge waves that break on the beach. One salvor wanted to sink a a freighter off shore to help break the waves. Another guy tried to build a tunnel.

Are you planning to go over there?

OP
OP
O

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a story about one of the salvage attempts. It said there are huge waves that break on the beach. One salvor wanted to sink a a freighter off shore to help break the waves. Another guy tried to build a tunnel.

Are you planning to go over there?

Wow, that sounds crazy. And yes eventually I do plan on going over that way to try my part in searching.

OP
OP
O

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also a very important question!!! Has the Grosvenor's cargo been confirmed, or is it just speculation? I have heard that she had the following on board:

2,600,000 gold coins
1,400 gold ingots
19 chest of diamonds, emeralds, and rubies.
Gold Peacock Throne from India.

Now, I have seen several sources claiming that the Peacock Throne is bogus and simply a rumor made up in the 1800s used to generate interests in salvaging her- but what about the other items? Has there been any documentation, such as a registery or manifest, confirming her cargo? If anyone can help that would be amazing.

I would also love to know how I could get ahold of her logs, manifests, or registery? Please any information would be great. I want as much info as I can get.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio Adventurer
Your words "try my hand at searching"
Personally I don't think searching is the issue. Just by looking at past attempts on this shipwreck tells me that logistics is the issue. I also read somewhere that you could dive about 3 days out of a year. Personally I would put the wreck at a $5 to $15 million project. I have two books regarding this shipwreck and just as a mental exercise I put together a potential logistic way of excavating the site. Are you lured in by the possibility of the Peacock throne or you are looking for a 5 year project and want to spend a few million on a BIG challenge in the middle of nowhere? What is your past work experience in the shipwreck business?
I am just trying to be honest not critical. Jack

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that the group that did the salvage back in the 90's is still around. It looks like they last visited the site in 2004, maybe you could sign on with them, or at least get an idea of what is going on with the wrecksite.

The primary objective of the exploration was to determine the origin of the wreck and gathering the necessary evidence. The documents known shipbuilding, equipment and other features compared to the results of research, it was assumed that the research area of the Grosvenor lie the remains. Since they are considered as indirect evidence, it was necessary for a definitive conclusion, as far as possible, any artifacts to earn that irrefutably prove the ship's origin. Was during the 1999 exploration season to the surface of a likely trunks made ​​of bronze name plate with the words "Colonel EDW 'James' was read. Edward James and his family is certified as belonging to the ship's passengers in Hungary, and finally validated the wreckage of origin. Later it managed to raise it to the surface of artifacts, which provided further evidence for the origin of the wreck. Clothing buttons and other objects "CN" monogram, which most likely belonged to Charles Newman passenger or a silver spoon, which John Coxton captain's initials read.

During the excavations have been identified 19 cannon and two large vashorgony situation that can be inferred location of the wreck of water under the direction of the movement. It concludes that due to the prevailing during disasters in coastal ocean currents after the hull breaking in half and sinking, drifting north from the wreckage. Furthermore, it was established that due rope to the stern laid down on the beach, directly bordering the shore reefs, while the ship's nose has not drifted localized deeper waters.

To this day we know wreck area, about 15% of managed entirely We unearthed artifacts and nearly 6,000 raise to the surface. The wreckage of research and exploration work is currently underway. The findings and the ship's history exhibition opened on 19 September 2000 at the East London Museum.

OCTOPUS

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread