Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Rick. Do we know each other?

It's great to see someone still dedicated to this profession.

There's a lot of guys like myself still here since the 90s. They're many others still dedicated to thunting, and not here, too. 8-)

May i ask what projects you have going on?

You can ask, but the smart ones never tell.

Where do you think the Industry is going?

I believe it is going as it always has. Newbies pouring in all the time. Many give up when they realize it costs too much to end up with empty dreams. Veterans always have fun stories, and a few secrets they'll rarely tell. Small, quiet projects will outlast the publicly traded company projects, as recoveries of the "big ones" are pretty much long gone. Research should always be ongoing, but I suspect lobster divers and fishermen will find more than than the researchers. Overall, I think the industry is as strong as it's ever been.

Are costs coming down on salvaging?

Ha! Have they ever gone down in the history of this industry?

Other thoughts and comments?

You can't stay in the industry on results. You stay in because of the hope of results. Guys who don't get results in short order soon leave - and should. I have spent decades looking. My friends and I have found a few small things. But I have never found the big one. Wouldn't tell you if I did. But hope fuels us. I would never recommend to anyone to do this full-time. But if you can maintain other ways to make a living, and do this on the side, the journey itself is rewarding. I am a better man for having so many friends here I trust. At the end of the day, those friendships are my real treasure.

-Peace

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great reply Darren,

If I might give an opinion, spending time building people's trust in the industry goes such a long way!

The treasure had better be in the search and not necessarily the find, the old days of really big finds shallow are probably gone, but we all still look and that's great.....who knows?

If you build trust important people give you potentially valuable info, I can attest to this!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Are costs coming down? Certainly not.
More than thirty years ago Marx told me that $1 spent on research will save me $10 at sea.
Today, I would be surprised if $1 of research wouldn't save me at least $30 at sea--especially now, with the Internet.
Don......

OP
OP
R

Rogue One

Greenie
May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone:) Years ago.........We 1st tried coming in with Dave Horner down at Jupiter Inlet........Wasn't going to pay $2K to dive for a day, with all the recoveries going to the State.

Then Tammy Fisher was fun to talk to.........Their lease fees where 85% at the time. Ben Benson was brilliant, after the fight with Spain he never really went back in. Always liked Bob Weller he gave anyone the time of day...........

Tommy Thompson he lived in Columbus Ohio was still shinning bright back then.

We started a LLC with shipwrecks it never took off...........The main reason? Costs:)

It still seems anything out of the States is a harder game. Don't know if that's changing?

Rick

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rogue One

Greenie
May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's was a long time ago..............We sent 2 people down there to meet Horner............Some how in the communication things became mixed up. Horner thought he was talking to millionaires, and whats $2K for them to dive a day?

Always liked Horner (the book he wrote actually changed my life at 16) back then his 10,000 coin recovery wasn't going well in Ecuador.......We ended up in Ecuador. not with Horner, Another long story..........

Did get to meet Joe Barnett. Back then he was the Master Diver at Jupiter with the Explorer. Barnett last I saw had his own thing going............Should drop him a line:)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Rogue,

You began your participation in TNet attacking some good people - friends, and you were cautioned twice by mods.

First impressions count a whole lot, and you were displaying pretty negative behavior. Bad negative energy my friend!

Now you're showing a different side of perhaps some "expertise"?

We're all friends here, and certainly we'd rather welcome you as a friend. Peace in the future?

Keep the faith, we've got some really cool people here.

OP
OP
R

Rogue One

Greenie
May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let Gordon get to me, something they pulled years ago......... Highly competitive by nature, Nothing is handed to you in this world, and don't except such. Have to tone it down a few notches:)

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rogue,
I partnered with Horner and Lou Ullian at Jupiter.
My boat was the R/V Explorer.
I also partnered with them (and others) in Ecuador where, again, the "Explorer" was used as the salvage vessel.
We were the catalyst to get salvage laws changed to a 50-50 split with the government. Many other TH-ers then came to Ecuador.
Don......

OP
OP
R

Rogue One

Greenie
May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rogue,
I partnered with Horner and Lou Ullian at Jupiter.
My boat was the R/V Explorer.
I also partnered with them (and others) in Ecuador where, again, the "Explorer" was used as the salvage vessel.
We were the catalyst to get salvage laws changed to a 50-50 split with the government. Many other TH-ers then came to Ecuador.
Don......

Small world:)

I'm up on the Great Lakes. At 19 almost put a wreck under Admiralty, until they found the wreck of the Atlantic..........Then the attorney wanted 80% of what I was looking to do.....He sure wasn't thinking about the State's cut and Uncle Sam's

Horner forgot to tell me how to handle Pirates in his book:)

At 10% 20% who can operate like that? Now being a little bit wiser, knowing a few people, might start back into the industry.....

Won't take much for the small wrecks up here.

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rogue, do you also live in Fla? Would your initials happen to be TK?

OP
OP
R

Rogue One

Greenie
May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Sir it's RN For Rick Nowak.............Live in Ohio near Cleveland.............Actually working on diving on a few wrecks up here:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rogue One

Greenie
May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Thank You:) I'm just slowly doing what I can............Have to pick up another diver for the wrecks up here. Golden Rule: Never dive alone and know their level:)

Pretty much recreational right now:) Having Fun low costs........

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice to meet you, Rick. I confused you with someone else.

It was my understanding that all wrecks in the Great Lakes were off limits to salvage, though not diving. Is this not the case? Are there permits that can be obtained for salvage?

Good luck!

OP
OP
R

Rogue One

Greenie
May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On not a problem, nice meeting you Derren:)

Your pretty stable in the industry..............Few other people around here ring bells.

i'm not sure..............Last time I checked we had only 3 Admiralty Lawyers in Ohio...........One can always look and not touch.

Will know before hand ignorance is no excuse....We have local dive clubs............Just feel a pull towards this now.........

The Great Lakes ran raw materials coal timber grains salts etc. Not many treasure ships up here...........Still the experience of seeing one coming out of the shadows:.

Always another Treasure Hunt:)

Rick

P.S. Why does everyone have to find the Titanic? Who can forget Mamma Joe? That taught me it's Ok to start out small.

oq9mbr.jpg

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let Gordon get to me, something they pulled years ago......... Highly competitive by nature, Nothing is handed to you in this world, and don't except such. Have to tone it down a few notches:)[/QUOT

My bad, please proceed

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rogue One

Greenie
May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahh another negative inuendo
I am still jeff-gordon on all sites, I see your a new account. Who were you before? Then I might have a clue what you are talking about.
Stop pissing around dude, you got something to say or accuse me of- have at it. Be a man.

Your little mods friends will jump in.................Not a problem Wolf Runs you told me how I was a joke.........Was more fun getting away from you then doing that hunt:)

A man can forgive an insult.............The the 1st thing you do when I post in here is your up in my face again.........

We can keep going at it or let it go you choose

So stop calling me out and following me around here..........Ok Mods come down on me and ignore Jeff here:)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sads is right.
I apologise for any offence I caused you Rogue whether here or on that other site

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread