admrilty claims what the requirements to file for one?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You must submit a piece of the wreck to qualify. In the case of the Titanic, Robert Ballard submitted a piece of coal.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
My suggestion: If you want to know "All the legal requirements" you should either take a month off from work to learn them or hire a well-known and respected lawyer who specializes in that field--marine salvage law. While many on TN are respected members, like 'Salvor 6',unless he and others who may respond to this thread are also salvage lawyers, their comments should not be taken as legal advise on which to go 'all in'.Their comments are aimed at giving you helpful suggestions based on their own knowledge and experience.
Don......

OP
OP
B

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok,but do you have to identify the ship/wreck? does a wreck have to be there or these type of claims just for a location that you can search...like getting a discovery permit from fbar?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok,but do you have to identify the ship/wreck? does a wreck have to be there or these type of claims just for a location that you can search...like getting a discovery permit from fbar?

Although I am NOT a Maritime Lawyer...

I can tell you this...
"Permits" as you say... be it "discovery" or whatever...

Are rarely ... If ever... issued to a "person" ... let alone an "entity" with qualifications beyond the scope of the "normal everyday ship hunting guy".

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Pm Old Man, I know he has an admiralty arrest and would know how to do that?

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can tell you what was involved when I filed mine. First I needed 2 pieces of the ship, I used a ballast stone and a piece of timber with a spike attached. My lawyer than filed in federal court my claim or arrest. If accepted by the court which mine was you will have to give a location . This location will be a point , not necessary to give exact location. You will own , in my case 800 yards from that point in every direction. This does not mean the state of Fla or any other state will recognize this arrest. It's a must in a shipwreck claim but no guarantee . Another important reminder, the shipwreck is an unidentifiable sailing vessel of unknown Origen

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
off juno beach

Walk away now while you have your bank account and sanity. First, pretty much that entire area is leased (and has been for a long time). Second, florida will not issue you a salvage lease to work anything there. They wil let you spend all your time and money surveying, mapping and turning over ALL your data but they won't let you dig.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not so sure that posting your location... even if vague... is a wise move out here.
Regardless of the intention / result(s) of said location being discussed... again even if vague at best...

Its like showing your cards to the other players in the same game. heh

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the case of the Titanic, Robert Ballard submitted a piece of coal.

I dont think that is correct. Ballard was known for not taking anything from the Titanic, and did not file an Admiralty Claim.

From the RMS Titanic, Inc Court case:

In 1985, Dr. Ballard’s team did not take or remove any artifacts from the site. Instead, they photographed and documented the ship and its condition and left a commemorative plaque paying homage to those that perished on the Titanic. By not taking anything from the site, this left the Titanic open for claim by the first salvager to bring up an artifact.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buccaneer1961... Can you please pm me a contact number for you... I would like to speak to you in person as I have someone who may be able to assist you with the legal aspects of your site. I will call you tomorrow...

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a friend. Hopefully this friend will be a billionaire not just a millionaire. Make sure that this friend/partner is in it for the fun and adventure. Make sure your new buddy has a team of lawyer's on retainer at least one a maritime lawyer. At this point convince your buddy that its time to form a marine salvage company. After that sick the lawyers on all the claim and permitting processes from the federal level all the way down to the state and local levels. After all that paper work is filed processed and approved you can actually start to fit out a boat. Dont forget divers , archeologists, equipment, mechanics etc etc etc. The lawyers/sharks will always circle the boat eating gold dobloons from time to time. The state wants theres too so be ready to give up some booty. Make sure your wealthy friend/partner dosent lose intrest. Billionaires can be like a barracuda, they dart off after the next Shiney lure leaving you with a cut line or shredded bait. Im just trying to be funny here. Hire a maritime lawyer first. Be patient and dont let the dream fade. Many people will try to discourage you. Follow all the rules and steps verbatim and it is possible to succeed. Have your lawyer sign a nondisclosure agreement. Dont divulge to much on the net.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don't divulge anything on the net,, hide in plain sight though

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be very careful which lawyer you might pick.

DO NOT CONTACT OR USE JAMES GOOLD OR HIS FIRM under any circumstances.

He worked for Spain against Odyssey in the Mercedes shipwreck case.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering Goold's success rate with several Admiralty Claims, if you are on the right side of things, he would be a great choice.

Unfortunately, he has retired.

Looking at the thread, this seems like you should contact the lease holder.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Guys, before you make a big deal out of this as a New Claim. He didn't find a wreck site.
He is inquiring about seafarer and what it takes for that public company to finally get a salvage permit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread